Speedster Wheel cover id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster Wheel cover id

I am about to put these on eBay and want to properly identify them. 2 of the hub caps are definitely repros as I bought them about 10 years ago to compete the package. But the question remains, are the wire wheel covers original/authentic? The only thing I see stamped on the back mounting flange is "pat appl for" and "87-4", so nothing that looks like a Studebaker part number. How should I represent/describe them? Thx
    Jerry
    Attached Files

The only Studebaker Number involved would be the AC Number printed on the Box. They look correct to me, check to make sure they are 4 1/2 Inch Bolt pattern and call it good.

The Hub Caps for the wires would be Studebaker specific, no other MFG. had any like them.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-21-2015, 05:37 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

JAB-PH - I sent you a private messege...

Comment

SR, thanks for the encouraging post. Yes, they do fit as they were on a '57 GH that I had. Any thoughts what kind of number I should shoot for, think they're pretty rare?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The only Studebaker Number involved would be the AC Number printed on the Box. They look correct to me, check to make sure they are 4 1/2 Inch Bolt pattern and call it good.

The Hub Caps for the wires would be Studebaker specific, no other MFG. had any like them.

Comment

New Hub Caps for them are $300.00 a Set, so take it from there as to the value of Used, it's all about the condition of the stainless rings and hub caps. Start them Low ($100.00) and make the reserve the least you would be happy with getting.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I bought 2 new hubcaps, just the caps about 10 years ago and they were $65 each, the wires must be a bunch more? Are you saying $300 for the full set, wire covers and caps, wow?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            New Hub Caps for them are $300.00 a Set, so take it from there as to the value of Used, it's all about the condition of the stainless rings and hub caps. Start them Low ($100.00) and make the reserve the least you would be happy with getting.

Comment

Check ebay for completed sales. They are on there regularly.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

The reproduction center caps are currently $80 ea. All of the original Stude hubs I have seen have 87-4 or 87.4 stamped in them. Make sure all of those special screws, nuts and locators are there!

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                X