64 hawk side grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 64 hawk side grills

The side grills on my 64 project hawk are really rusty . Does anyone have a way to clean them up to look presentable for a daily driver? Thanks.
    NEIL G.

What I did with mine is I sand blasted them as hard as I could and tried to get all the rust off. Then I epoxy primed with a black epoxy and when completely dry scuffed with a red scuff pad. Then used fine line tape to tape off where it needed to be black. Painted where it use to be chrome with rust-oleum chrome sliver. when this was dry I peeled the tape and gave the whole thing a good coat of clear. From a distance you can hardly tell it's not chrome and even then there's very few people that know it's not suppose to be that way.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by swvalcon; 10-22-2015, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks swvalcon. That sounds like a good plan .
      NEIL G.

Comment

The other option for the longest-lasting finish is do the same steps but having a powder coater apply their black and chrome coatings.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Hey Steve. Do you have a shot of what your final product looks like? Thanks. Dan

Comment

I do and it's in my camera but for some reason I can't get it to down load. So if I can find the problem I will do that. I know I had a picture back when I first did them on here so maybe I can find that. Not sure how long posts are saved here on the site.

Comment

There is a product here in Oz called C20. It is an (claimed) organic rust and filth remover. Soak stuff for 2 or 3 days, and it comes out looking very good. Did a real good job on my chrome end caps (spears) on top of the fender. I am sure you would have a similar product over there - worthwhile if you still have chrome/stainless to salvage. Cost is $41 litre, and reusable multiple times.

Comment

Neil The wife found a way to get my camera to down load. Not the easiest way but it seemed to work. Here is what my side grilles looked like after they where clear coated.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by swvalcon; 10-30-2015, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X