PDA

View Full Version : Williams AZ & Las Vegas - Other things to see After Antique Stude Zone Meet this Weekend

Cowtown Commander
10-21-2015, 09:46 AM
After dealing with Plumbing Problem at home all week the wife and I are really looking forward to the Antique Studebaker Zone Meet in Williams AZ this weekend. We are flying in to Vegas and using a rental car to get to Williams. The Antique Club is going to the Grand Canyon on Friday & has what looks like an interesting tour planned for Saturday. We were thinking to go to Sadona & Jerome on Sunday but were wondering about suggestions others might have we fly back from Vegas on Tuesday morning.
We've done Hoover Dam & Valley of Fire on previous trips and there was some interesting cars I saw years ago at the Imperial Palace. With the SDC Zone meet in Vegas a few weeks ago did anyone find something of interest - I don't need to gamble as the Studebaker cars certainly qualify as a gamble for me.

paintim613
10-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Do not pass up going to Sedona and/or Jerome. Sedona gets more visitors annually than the Grand Canyon because of the incredible red rocks scenery and Jerome's perch on the side of a mountain is unique. Lots of interesting shops and good restaurants (especially Sedona) in both. Jerome quite small with lots of mining history. The drive through Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona north to Flagstaff should be spectacular with changing colors about now. One of the most beautiful drives in the country. Note: I lived in Flagstaff for 30 years.

thunderations
10-21-2015, 12:42 PM
When you're in Williams, you are in the very last community to be bypassed by I-40, spelling the end of US Route 66. Route 66 is the main street through Williams.
You can travel much of the old road and communities from Williams, going west towards Kingman. You can also travel the route east to Flagstaff and over to the Holbrook, Winslow area. Arizona prides itself with the longest continuous stretch of Route 66 in the country and celebrates it every year with the Route 66 Fun Run at the end of April/first of May. Anywhere from 500-800 cars join in each year to drive the highway with a huge car show in Kingman on Saturday. For information, contact the Historic Route 66 Association of Arizona.
Don't miss a chance to see some of America's automotive history, Historic Route 66.