Calling all Speedster Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Speedster Experts

I have been working on the puzzle I own, which is the 1955 Speedster. I have come across AC 2427 which is the hood ornament for the car. I know that the doctors car, the all black speedster, doe not have the hood ornament. I believe it was deleted.

My friend here in town has a long ornament that was taken off a 55 president coupe but instead of the plastic insert, it has a gold metal anodized piece instead of the plastic.

My question: did the Speedster come with more than one type of hood ornament. My car was built in South Bend on 4/22/1955 and shipped to Danube, Minnesota. Were the Vernon Speedster equipped different than the South Bend cars?

Thanks in advance
    Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Hi Bob, The long hood ornament certainly sounds like a Speedster hood center spear. Someone must have added it to the President coupe at one time or another.

About the gold plated diecast 'fin' as opposed to the clear lucite 'fin',....... I believe they are both correct for a President Speedster, and are interchangeable.

From what I've seen, the earlier, and in fact the majority of President Speedsters, were built with the gold diecast fin....The clear lucite fin came out later in production, and I've always thought that the clear lucite fin was offered by Studebaker because it better matches the lucite 'fins' found on the fender top ornaments. (I could definitely be wrong about that!)

The Newburyport Doctor whom ordered my own Speedster requested the factory leave the hood center spear off the car (per PO)... from under the hood one can see the factory leaded in center spear holes.

Comment

If the Production Order states 'delete hood trim', I would leave it off.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        If the Production Order states 'delete hood trim', I would leave it off.

Craig
        Yes, the production order indicates "OMIT HOOD AND FENDER ORNAMENTS"....Personally, I like the normal President Speedster hood and fender trim, but I'd never install those pieces since the factory leaving them off makes this Speedster, (The Doctor's Car), somewhat unique. (IMHO)
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X