No announcement yet.

53 T/S parking light bulbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 53 T/S parking light bulbs.

I'm going with a 12 Volt system. What number bulbs should I use for the amber front? One of the old grill bars had an 1158 in it.
    The rear housings are 1955. What number brake-turn bulb for it, going 12 Volts?
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
    sigpic
    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

1176 is the 12 volt replacement for the 6 volt 1158. If they make an amber bulb it would be 1176A or A1176. I am using clear 1176s in my '54.
    Last edited by 1954khardtop; 10-20-2015, 12:59 PM. Reason: corrected numbers
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Earlier I posted 12 volt 1178 replaced 6 volt 1158, I meant to say 12 volt 1176. I could not find amber 1176 bulbs, so I guess we will have to settle for clear.
      Sorry for putting bad information out there, I hope nobody went out and bought the wrong bulbs

Comment

I still have some Transparent Amber Lacquer Paint sold in '63 and on to convert Clear bulbs to the latest "NEW" thing, AMBER Parking and Turn Indicators!

Probably not a huge seller anymore, those were the days when you did not throw things away because they were obsolete, you updated them or just used them up.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've always used the more common 12 volt 1157 bulb. For amber I get the 1157NA - NA stands for "natural amber" that gives a better glow in my opinion & is what most auto makers used as original equipment back when the transition was made from clear to amber turn signals.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren, The '53 parking light sockets take a different base bulb than the 1157. The pins are not staggered like the 1157, but are straight across from each other. The 1176 uses the same base as the original '53 park/turn light. I have filed the upper pin off of an 1157 and used it in a pinch.

Comment

I believe the '53 would have the "staggered" socket if it came with factory (or dealer) installed directionals in which case it probably had 1034 bulbs (front and rear).
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

From the '53 shop manual, page 2 of the electrical system section, "parking lights with directional signals - Mazda No. 1158". 1158 is non staggered. "Tail-Stop Mazda No. 1154", 1154 is staggered.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. 54HT is correct. The pins are not staggered on the original.
                  My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                  sigpic
                  Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                  in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Working...
                  X