Tires for a '63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Tires for a '63 Avanti

I have purchased a set of repro-Halibrand wheels from Real Rodders for my '63 Avanti R2 (R2658) I'd be interested in hearing what anyone has to offer as to what brand & size tire I should consider.
    Thanks in advance for any advice

It depends on what you want to use the car for...show queen? A driven car? If a show queen the original 6.70-15 bias ply will do nicely. BTW - Coker Tires is now selling original bias looking radial tires.

Otherwise I would go with radial tires. The best size for an Avanti is P205/75R15 but aren't the easiest size to find.

Do you want white stripe tires or blackwall? With blackwall tires you will fund far more to select from than white stripe tires unless you go to a specialty supplier like Coker or Diamondback Tires.

Cooper does sell a white strip tire that will fit in their Trendsetter line. Other tire makers may not make them anymore or may be difficult to find.

I have P215/70R15 Cooper Cobra redline tires on my '70 Avanti but I have 6" wide rims. I got the redlines from Diamondback.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Since the repros are 15 x 6 you have a lot of choices-do you want black sidewalls, narrow or wide white sidewalls, red line, raised white letter?? I have 225/70R15 Kuhmo narrow white walls on magnum 500 rims and they seem to fit ok, but are no longer sold.

Comment

I have 225/70R15 BF Goodrich 1 1/2" WW on 15x6 Halibrands on my '63 GT R2 with disc's.

Comment

I have a set of WW Coopers on the original correctly colored, powder-coated wheels with original hubcaps. What I'm interested is in black wall, best tire set up for a '63 Avanti. Sorry, I should have been more clear

Comment

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
            I have a set of WW Coopers on the original correctly colored, powder-coated wheels with original hubcaps. What I'm interested is in black wall, best tire set up for a '63 Avanti. Sorry, I should have been more clear
            It seems like either a 215/70R15 or 225/70R15 will work. Tire brand preference is always a matter of taste and budget. Almost any brand radial will be better than a bias ply. Ride, turn in, wet weather performance will vary. The rear ends of these things are "very light" so I like the wide 225s, helps it feel more secure in the "dry", but the wider tires do affect the slow speed turning effort. Sorry to be so non-committal, but I buy all my tires from Tire Rack, check width, rolling diameter and look at their reviews, then make a choice. Sometimes it's great-sometimes not, depends on the car. I prefer handling to ride, but hate tire noise. But the prices are, overall, the best I think.

Comment

I also prefer handling vs. ride & was thinking of the wider tire. Tire Rack is good for most reviews. I've dealt with Discount Tires, here, in having (6) sets on work vehicles & so far they've done well. For something like this, though, I'm somewhat hesitant. Thanks for your input

Comment

I run 215/70R15's on my Avanti. 6" wide Borrani wires

Denny L

Comment

I have put 225-75r-15 Maxxis thin white walls on my Halibrand wheels. The size was recommended by Dave Thibeault. The tires look great and the car handles well. From Coker, https://www.cokertire.com/catalog/pr...15/category/2/

Marc
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great looking car Marc, and I like the light blue color.

Comment

Marc,
                      The wheel / tire combo looks great. I'm thinking of keeping with the original ww & hubcaps for car shows but going with the Halibrands & black wall for most driving.

Comment

Working...
                      X