Custom '56 Sky Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom '56 Sky Hawk

I like the way the hood was redone. Looks a lot easier to open than the stock cars.

Steve
    Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.- Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
    '14 Boxster
    '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
    '37 Dictator Coupe
    '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

Well, that was certainly "thinking outside the box"!

A Bentley engine is not something I would have even lightly considered. Will a new fad be started right here?

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
      Well, that was certainly "thinking outside the box"!

A Bentley engine is not something I would have even lightly considered. Will a new fad be started right here?
      IIRC, we've seen this car on here a couple of times in the past. It has come to SoCal shows and members have posted photos. By their accounts, it's even more special up close; built by a professional for his own use.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I'm wondering if anyone makes a Kit for the rear opening hood...

Comment

Wow, Not a power train I ever expected to see in a Studebaker! A sharp looking car.

Comment

Could there be a nicer custom Stude than this?

Comment

A VERY well done Ok looking Car obviously done to HIS taste, all the little things that others here, especially myself would do different is what makes a Custom a "Personal Custom" not appreciated as much by others.

It would bug me every time I drove it, having to deal with all the things I would NOT have done.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This Hawk was originally built in the Vernon (LA) California plant.
                The components sound like an old build (C4, TH400, etc.). The engine is most likely even older.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

According to the interweb, the 6.75 was the engine of choice from late 60's into the 90's on RR and Bentley. The TH 400 was installed from 68 to 90 in various RR and Bentley offerings. Just look up Bentley Mulsanne for one. I wondered why the builder didn't go overdrive but possibly because the TH 400 had a special housing. Dang fine build. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Could there be a nicer custom Stude than this?
                    Yep, There are a lot nicer ones out there. Yours to you and mine to me. "Custom" is a word meaning basically done to suit a certain person.

Comment

I'd be proud to drive it, but i'd tell everyone it was an experimental Packard engine.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Hehehehe! "...i'd tell everyone it was an experimental Packard engine." And, we wonder how all the goofy stories about our cars come about!!!

Comment

John Kroulik (the Whistler) in Phoenix had a hawk with a front opening hood at a zone meet years ago. He is studejohn here on the forum and might be able to tell you how he did his hawk.

Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                            John Kroulik (the Whistler) in Phoenix had a hawk with a front opening hood at a zone meet years ago. He is studejohn here on the forum and might be able to tell you how he did his hawk.

Bob Miles
                            Tucson AZ
                            Search Jerry Forrester on the forum, he has a slick setup in his posts.

Comment

After looking carefully at all the photos, I'm even more impressed by this car. However, it's so much one man's vision, it might not find another who appreciates it enough to pay the asking price Just me, but on my custom '56 Hawk, I decided I preferred the '64 front clip and a '53-55 deck lid and a custom rear bumper. Not everyone will agree with those choices.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X