Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought this 1987 Avanti survivor and I have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought this 1987 Avanti survivor and I have a question.

Just bought this 1987 Avanti 24,000 original mile survivor. Unmolested car all original right down to the 28 year old tires, which I plan to replace ASAP. My question is should I save and keep the original tires is there any merit to keeping them ?
    Last edited by avanti76; 10-13-2015, 09:53 AM.

Sure, but I also have the original tires that came on the 1985 Toyota 4x4 pickup I bought new so I may not be the best one to ask...

Comment

Being hand built and custom ordered in most cases Avanti II's do not have much of a certain "as built original" condition that needs to be preserved. Most are one of a kind, but since they all are, it adds no value.

They also are really not collectable in the same way an original Studebaker Avanti is, so they have less of a appreciation factor.

In other words; NO, the Tires do not matter, and since they last only 5 years, will not be legal or safe to use anyway.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

VERY nice looking Avanti!....and with only 24K........WOW!!

Comment

Who ever thought we would reach a day where we could read "1987" and "survivor" in the same sentence about a car? It's too weird.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Thanks SN-60 I felt I couldn't pass it up everything works including icy air conditioning, no leaks, rip or tears, low mileage, and has always been garage kept. The owner has only driven it 7,500 miles since 1991 when they became the second owner. For $11,500 I felt it was a more than fair deal. Plus it has the easier to work on Monte Carlo chassis that any garage can service. I'm happy as there are many Avanti's out there with issues and abuse.
            Last edited by avanti76; 10-13-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Avanti76, was it you or the previous owner that had the 87 Avanti at the Morris Cruise Night this last Saturday night? I saw the car go by on the street coming in. I had my 89 red Avanti convertible there and a friend had his gold 63 Avanti there as well. Good luck with the car.

For safety sake, please put new tires on the car if you are going to do any other driving than just around town.
              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Yes plwindish I believe it was the previous owner and the same car you saw. Yes I am putting on new tires ASAP before doing much of any type of driving. I feared test driving the car with 28 year old tires, but did exercise great care doing so. I'll look forward to seeing you and your 89 convertible at future cruise nights next year once the weather breaks in spring.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what is the Serial Number (last digits)? The 1987 that I bought new was S/N ---006 (the fourth one for public sale).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

studegary I pick up the car Thursday afternoon
                    I will PM you the Serial Number. I was able to get this tonight.
                    Last edited by avanti76; 10-13-2015, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avanti76 View Post
                      studegary I pick up the car Thursday afternoon
                      I will PM you the Serial Number. I was able to get this tonight.
                      Thanks. It looks like 159 on my monitor (may be 059). June 1987 would put it toward the end of South Bend Production. The change from South Bend to Youngstown was August/September 1987. There were 186 1987 models.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Comment

Nice looking car. I like the idea of a moonroof in an Avanti. Seats look comfortable too.
                          The later cars had the newer dash, looks modern but I do like the iconic original.

I don't think I've seen a later car with two-tone. Was it original or owner added?
                          Interesting how two-tones made a comeback in the late 80s-early 90s.
                          Corvettes, Mercedes (on lower plastic cladding), and some Buicks had a contrasting color halfway up the car. We'll probably see it make another comeback as automakers look to make their cars different on a budget (and without having to re-do the government safety tests, new tooling costs, etc).
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

JBOYLE The two-tone paint appears to have been a factory option at least it was on this car. It is listed on the window sticker that came with the car as a $400 option. The only thing I don't care for is the luggage rack.

Comment

Thanks for the window sticker. That verifies the 159 car number. The last 1987 was number 166. I also do not like the trunk rack (mine didn't have one). I did not like the automatic power antenna. I had to remember to turn off the radio every time that I went to put the car in my garage. My other cars with fixed or manually adjustable antennas went through the door opening just fine, but not that one. My last two homes had/have low headroom kit garage doors.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X