PDA

View Full Version : Proving Ground question.

rknight89
10-12-2015, 07:42 PM
I was talking to my brother earlier this evening. He works for Allison Transmissions in Indianapolis. He told me that they have a proving ground in northern Indiana where they test their military products. He thinks it's the old Studebaker Proving Grounds. I told him that I thought Bosch owned it until recently and sold it to IH-Navistar?? Wasn't positive of the details. I told him to SCHMOOZE whoever he needed to because I wanted in there. His reply..."It's military testing...I can't even get in!" Anybody have any details on who uses the old proving grounds now? Just curious.:confused:

Warren Webb
10-12-2015, 07:53 PM
It's true, Navistar recently acquired it but you would have to contact them & if they are using it for the military your gonna have to wait a while.

dean pearson
10-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Bob Palma has a key to the gate.
He was going to let some dude in on a recent Turning wheels but when he didn't have a battery hold down he got turned away.

(It's on the cover of the September issue)

Dean.

rknight89
10-12-2015, 08:02 PM
I guess I'll have to ask my brother if Allison is building transmissions for Navistar for the military. He probably has no idea. He tests transmissions all day. Probably has no clue who they go to. Allison builds transmissions for almost EVERYONE!

rknight89
10-12-2015, 08:11 PM
I have an extra battery hold down to donate!!! LET ME IN!!!

mr moto
10-12-2015, 08:15 PM
If Navistar operates anything like Bosch, the facility could be frequently rented out to other companies.

Chris_Dresbach
10-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Navistar does own it and they still operate similar to Bosch by testing vehicles for other companies.
The Proving Grounds belonged to Studebaker until 1964 when Bendix bought it. There is still a Studebaker prototype graveyard in the woods out there. I own a prototype that came from out there and the sheet metal skin to another.