Gas Filler Hose Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Gas Filler Hose Installation

I have a 1957 Scotsman. The gas filler hose has starting leaking fuel when I put gas in the tank. I ordered another hose and my question is regarding how to install it.

The current hose is installed with adjustable hose clamps and I can see an orange-colored sealant between the rubber hose and the metal fill pipe (and on the tank end as well). Does anyone know what type of sealant I should buy? Once I pry the old hose off what should I use to clean existing sealant off?

Thanks for any ideas.

John

First make sure the new hose can stand up to the corn crap gas. I've never heard of anyone using a sealant here. I would spray the inside and outside with WD-40 or give it a light coat of Vaseline to make it easier to slip into place. The spray on the outside or light coat of Vaseline on the inside of the clamps is to let the clamp slip some on the hose, so it seals better rather than bunch up as the clamp pulls tight.

Check the auto parts store for some 3M gasket or glue remover to clean the old sealer off.

Comment

Drain the tank.
      Cut the old hose with a knife or saw blade.
      Disconnect the wire to the sending unit. It is accessible through the round metal plate in the trunk floor.
      While your in there, remove the rubber gas line hose. You will probably have to cut it and replace it with new hose. It's available by the foot, get fuel injection hose.
      Drop the tank. Use a floor jack if you can't find some willing helpers.
      Clean the old hose pieces from the tank. It's up to you to put a sealer on the hose. I didn't find any on the 2 Studes on which I replaced hoses. The old hoses looked old enough to be factory.
      Fitting the new filler hose on while lifting the tank back into place is a real trick. Grunt, groan, snort, or whatever you are comfortable with.
      Remember to PUT THE HOSE CLAMPS ON before you install the hose. Remember to hook up the fuel line and sender wire.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the advice. Yesterday I got everything apart and a new hose in place.

Comment

Working...
        X