This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "O" pinions needed

I have the chance to buy a homemade trailer that I would like to transport cars with. It looks really stout with two house trailer axles and 7" steel c beams. It doesn't have brakes.....?........
    I could see makings about 10 tows a years,,, I have heard car trailers wear out really fast....?

Thanks for your "T" houghts,,,

It sounds like it might be heavy and I'd want brakes for sure. figure the cost of adding brakes to the price. With good used trailers with brakes selling for a $1000 or so, do the math.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
    63 Daytona HT
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    57 Silver Hawk
    53 Starliner
    51 Commander
    JDP Maryland

Comment

It sounds like it might be heavy and I'd want brakes for sure. figure the cost of adding brakes to the price. With good used trailers with brakes selling for a $1000 or so, do the math.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
      64 Daytona HT
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      63 GT Hawk
      63 Avanti R1/AC
      63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
      63 Daytona HT
      63 Lark 2 dr.
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark convert
      60 Hawk
      57 Silver Hawk
      53 Starliner
      51 Commander
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I second the brakes. I've towed with and without them. Normal conditions...no big deal (as long as the tow vehical's brakes are good). But in a traffic..."oh ****" situation....brakes are well worth the time, effort and expense.

Also check all welds and around the welds for cracks. Also check for cracks near the spring bushings where they are welded to the trailer chassis/ramp.

Comment

I second the brakes. I've towed with and without them. Normal conditions...no big deal (as long as the tow vehical's brakes are good). But in a traffic..."oh ****" situation....brakes are well worth the time, effort and expense.

Also check all welds and around the welds for cracks. Also check for cracks near the spring bushings where they are welded to the trailer chassis/ramp.

Comment

I agree with Studedude, New is the way to go on a car trailer. We have bought many over the years, the four we now have two were new and two used ones. One of the used one was so bad it was cheap, but by the time we rebuild it and added brakes, we could of bought a new one. One of the new trailers has about 300K, and has had the axles, brakes, and floor replace and repainted 3 times. When we first bought that one, we welded more support to the front, and that why it's been so many miles, I can't count how many tires,

Ebon...
            [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/logo2-3.jpg [/img]

Comment

I agree with Studedude, New is the way to go on a car trailer. We have bought many over the years, the four we now have two were new and two used ones. One of the used one was so bad it was cheap, but by the time we rebuild it and added brakes, we could of bought a new one. One of the new trailers has about 300K, and has had the axles, brakes, and floor replace and repainted 3 times. When we first bought that one, we welded more support to the front, and that why it's been so many miles, I can't count how many tires,

Ebon...
              [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/logo2-3.jpg [/img]

Comment

I would go with a new one. I bought a 2 axle car trailer almost 20 years ago to haul some of my tractors and farm equipment around on. At the time it cost me around $1300, but I sold a old boat with a junk motor for $600 and cashed in all the coins I had been saving since 1973 to make up the difference. My biggest expense has been for the tires I have worn out.

About 10 years ago I had a custom 28' dual tandem gooseneck built for me. While I could haul 3 tractors on it the thing weighed 6500 pounds empty! I sold it a couple of years later and bought an IH rollback with a 22 foot body. I can load anything I want by myself whether it runs, has wheels or the brakes are locked.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I would go with a new one. I bought a 2 axle car trailer almost 20 years ago to haul some of my tractors and farm equipment around on. At the time it cost me around $1300, but I sold a old boat with a junk motor for $600 and cashed in all the coins I had been saving since 1973 to make up the difference. My biggest expense has been for the tires I have worn out.

About 10 years ago I had a custom 28' dual tandem gooseneck built for me. While I could haul 3 tractors on it the thing weighed 6500 pounds empty! I sold it a couple of years later and bought an IH rollback with a 22 foot body. I can load anything I want by myself whether it runs, has wheels or the brakes are locked.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I have a Ford F350 rollback- it is the ultimate!

Unless you go long distance [xx(]

I use my Dodge Conversion van with tow dolly; quieter, cheaper to run, rides MUCH nicer, has A/C, C/C, great stereo- plus has a pretty decent bed, TV, VCR, DVD [^]

Of course, it is more of a challenge to load; plus you have to depend on the rear axle, plus usually bring newer tires and pull the drive shaft- which usually means dealing with rusted bolts... I still prefer it over my trailer- no tongue weight

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I have a Ford F350 rollback- it is the ultimate!

Unless you go long distance [xx(]

I use my Dodge Conversion van with tow dolly; quieter, cheaper to run, rides MUCH nicer, has A/C, C/C, great stereo- plus has a pretty decent bed, TV, VCR, DVD [^]

Of course, it is more of a challenge to load; plus you have to depend on the rear axle, plus usually bring newer tires and pull the drive shaft- which usually means dealing with rusted bolts... I still prefer it over my trailer- no tongue weight

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Towing a trailer with a car on it, and without trailer brakes, sounds like a good idea for adrenalin junkies. Fortunately, here in Oz the laws are quite specific about trailer loads and brakes. Any restrictions in your area?
                        /H

Comment

Towing a trailer with a car on it, and without trailer brakes, sounds like a good idea for adrenalin junkies. Fortunately, here in Oz the laws are quite specific about trailer loads and brakes. Any restrictions in your area?
                          /H

Comment

Those house trailer axles are rated at 6,000 pounds each but those single leaf springs are too stiff for practical use. You can get different load weight multi leaf springs to replace them however. But you're still stuck with the 14.5 inch diameter wheels and your tire options are very limited and rather costly. I made a tag axle for a truck out of one but the bearings needed constant adjustment and the tires wore out very quickly. You might listen to the other folks and get something with automotive type wheels and springs. All house trailer axles have electric brakes which requires a brake controller be plumbed into the tow vehicle's brake system. Some tow trailers have surge brakes which are self contained and save a lot of installation trouble. In fact, the ones I've seen use the same old Bendix master cylinder like the frame mounted Studes.

Comment

Those house trailer axles are rated at 6,000 pounds each but those single leaf springs are too stiff for practical use. You can get different load weight multi leaf springs to replace them however. But you're still stuck with the 14.5 inch diameter wheels and your tire options are very limited and rather costly. I made a tag axle for a truck out of one but the bearings needed constant adjustment and the tires wore out very quickly. You might listen to the other folks and get something with automotive type wheels and springs. All house trailer axles have electric brakes which requires a brake controller be plumbed into the tow vehicle's brake system. Some tow trailers have surge brakes which are self contained and save a lot of installation trouble. In fact, the ones I've seen use the same old Bendix master cylinder like the frame mounted Studes.

Comment

Working...
                              X