Studebaker Jack ID - Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Jack ID - Photos

I have a growing pile of old jacks. Once a year I lay them all out and try to find the right bases and match them to the posts and hooks.... fun yes, but have not had much success.... I NEED MORE REFERENCE PICS . Most of my Studbaker jacks are a mix match of 1950's-60's posts-hooks-bases, but I do have several NOS 1930's styled jacks I've been told may be Studebakers ???

Before I get all wound up... has anyone compiled a reference for old Studebaker jacks online or in print..??? I'm working on truck jacks currently and have 3 truck jack reference photos and I assume I should take that topic up with the Studebaker Truck forum on the network54 something website ?

Last edited by Wowabunga; 10-14-2015, 06:22 PM.
    Laugh Hard, Hand Tough, Lend a Hand
    Ramblin Randy

I think a Jack ID Guide would be a great idea! Go for it!

Comment

At the farm/estate auctions the auctioneers laugh at me for bidding on the old semi-rusty things. If it weren't for me dragging them home the scrap man would have his way with them.... a quick and painful demise for them at the metal shredder. Hopefully we can dig up together some reference photos so other "pickers" and autobuffs can save more of the jacks.

If you have an original car, and or know your jack is the real deal please post them HERE. Thanks in advance.
      Ramblin Randy

Comment

I have asked my friend who was a salesperson for Universal Jack of Butler, Indiana if they had a jack museum of everything they made over the years. He pointed to his head and said its here. They kept no samples of the jacks and adaptors that they made.

husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

Originally posted by Lark8girl View Post
          I have asked my friend who was a salesperson for Universal Jack of Butler, Indiana if they had a jack museum of everything they made over the years. He pointed to his head and said its here.
          Neat little story about days gone by. Ask him if he has any old catalogs I could copy.... I have zero literature on Universal Jack.

Here's a photo of a jack that the Packard Tool expert traded me, he was told this jack pictured is Studebaker. From the style it's late 40's or early 50's. I've never seen one like this before anywhere.

Ramblin Randy

Comment

These two are from the 20-30's and they are believe it or not, they are NOS with original handles. I'm still amazed that they were found at a new first ever swap meet (summer of 2015) in Luray VA for prewar cars. Finding NOS jacks this old is just crazy. Jack on right (#59) I have a reference as being a Studbaker by jack maker Ajax. Any one an expert on early car judging ?

Ramblin Randy

Comment

I had been looking for an old time bumper jack (cheap, cheap, cheap) for jacking up my riding mower at all the local wrecking yards with no luck.. Finally found one for $25 and got it with an offer of $20.. Either the yards don't want to look for one or there's just not any around any more.. Jacked up the mower one time and the ratchet spring broke, now back to ground zero and no jacks available..

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
                I had been looking for an old time bumper jack (cheap, cheap, cheap) for jacking up my riding mower at all the local wrecking yards with no luck.. Finally found one for $25 and got it with an offer of $20.. Either the yards don't want to look for one or there's just not any around any more.. Jacked up the mower one time and the ratchet spring broke, now back to ground zero and no jacks available..
                I use a come-a-long hanging from a tree limb to lift my mower. It can't slip off that way.

Comment

I just use my automotive floor jack under the front for mower maintenance... and under the rear for putting on the chains when plowing snow. I have a few old "screw jacks" around that I have gotten at auctions... have no idea what they are from... but every once in a while they are really handy (adjustable jackstand... pushing out body panels, etc.).
                  A booklet of jacks is a GREAT idea!

Comment

I've had this jack for quite awhile, and finally got it cleaned up and working again. Just curious is this the type of jack my '49 2R-5 would have come with?

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1700856
                    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                    \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                      I've had this jack for quite awhile, and finally got it cleaned up and working again. Just curious is this the type of jack my '49 2R-5 would have come with?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48413[/ATTACH]

Your jack Eric was from the 30-40's and used on cars and trucks. I'm working on bottle jacks right now and don't have any solid ID references for this particular jack. It's a strong compact jack and probably sold to many customers.

I spent the day at the AACA Library and looked thru every Studebaker Master Parts book they have on hand, and copied any and all info I could find. The reference material there was limited.

If you have MASTER PARTS BOOKS or LITERATURE on Studebakers that has illustrations of the factory jacks PLEASE PLEASE ( PRETTY PLEASE ) help us and scan them, or take a good photo of the illustrated page. THANK YOU in advance.
                      Ramblin Randy

Comment

All I know is the bumper jacks that used to come in virtually all new cars were, at the very least, scary. When changing a tire, I tried to do it as quickly as possible because I thought the jack would collapse. So, I carry a scissor jack in the trunk of my Lark. Hopefully I won't need it, but if I do, it won't be as scary as the old bumper jacks.
                        That's my take on the subject.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

My sources say the following is a 55-58 Studebaker Jack.... It's not a jack you see too often...

Here is a ebay listing that matches my reference, ebay # 231716033525

Am I correct with the years ?
                          Ramblin Randy

Comment

Does anyone have one of the cards from the trunk that shows a picture of the jack, some probably had dates on them.
                            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by Wowabunga View Post
                              My sources say the following is a 55-58 Studebaker Jack.... It's not a jack you see too often...

Here is a ebay listing that matches my reference, ebay # 231716033525

Am I correct with the years ?
                              This one must be as you say Chrysler, Ford or GM and very Old, NOT Studebaker Bumper Hook thingy.

StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X