56 Golden Hawk Packard Engine Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Golden Hawk Packard Engine Colors

Is there a location which shows the correct engine and accessory colors for the 56 GH Packard engine? I have looked at a BUNCH of pictures, and they all show "Artistic License" in the color combinations. And did the valve covers come from the Factory chromed? Also, how were the inner fenders and firewall colored?...

Jack Vines is the expert on Packard V8's

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

You should probably take a gander at Frank A's '56J ONLY' website......All your questions would be covered there!

Comment

I did, but I didn't see anything about engine colors...but then again, it might be me...

Comment

The Engine compartment itself is no different than any other Studebaker, all Body Color, all electrics like any Car: Black, the Engine: Deep Red, only the Optional "dress-up" Valve Covers were Chrome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GH_Solid Black9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	1700765 Click image for larger version

Name:	GH_Solid Blacka.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1700766
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

THANKS, guys...it's appreciated...

Comment

Just to clarify, the rocker covers were silver.

JackVines
              PackardV8

Comment

I always found it curious why Studebaker didn't choose to continue the 1956 engine 'SWEEPSTAKES' lineage with a 'SWEEPSTAKES 352' engine name, instead of that oddball 'Skypower'?

Comment

I forget the details (but I'm sure it's covered on the mentioned 56J site) but engine compartment colors were different depending on if the car was made in South Bend or California.
                  Manuel J. Martinez
                  Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

PACKARDV8 - The one I'm buying has chrome valve covers and chrome radiator shroud...Custom or Stock?

Comment

Is it ceramic green and snowcap white? does it have power windows and seat? It may be my old car!
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                        PACKARDV8 - The one I'm buying has chrome valve covers and chrome radiator shroud...Custom or Stock?
                        Yes - The rocker arm covers may be correctly chrome, but not the radiator shroud (qualifier - not a 56J expert).
                        How about Fred Fox's feature in TW on 56 GH's?
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

POR15 has the correct engine color it is called Ford red, you will also need the silver high heat base coat a pint each will do the job. Chrome valve covers were available but not a chrome fan shroud, also the 56GH fan shroud is unique to that car and is painted in a semi gloss black
                          It is an addiction!

Comment

When chrome rocker arm covers were ordered for the '56 Golden Hawk 'after the fact' from Studebaker (SASCO), 'PACKARD' script ones were usually supplied.

Original or not, you just can't beat the look of chromed 'PACKARD' script rocker arm covers on those engines!!

Comment

I have silver painted "script" covers on mine.
                              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
                              X