• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: High oil pressure readings

Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker  oil pressure service buletun 002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1748810I found this service letter among some shop manuals given to me by the owner of a former Studebaker dealership. Now I know why my 63 lark standard has had 70-80 psi. since I have owned it. Note this letter is for early 63 6 cylinder engines , but I wonder if this could be the answer to some of the high pressure problems I see posted on the forum. Does anyone know of a similar service letter for other engines?

That is GREAT info however, it is really hard to get your mind around the concept of how Oil Pressure in the same semi-sealed system could vary from one point to the other.

The Stude. Engineers must have known something that I do not.

I do have to say that I own exactly such a vehicle though and it does run 70-80 psi! An early enough '63S to have the Oil Pressure Gauge line coming from the Right side, as all previous flathead and OHV Sixes had forever!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil pressure service buletin.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1700770 Does anyone actually have a Late '63 or '64 Six Cylinder that has that odd situation where the rubber covered rigid copper Oil Line actually goes from the Left Front Inner Fender all that distance across to the block to a Rubber Flex Hose and then to the Oil Pressure hole in the side of Block?
    Seems like it would always be in the way when servicing the Distributor or anything on that side. Not to mention the hard line would be floppy from the Body to the Engine when it moves.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-10-2015, 04:45 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bernoulli's Principle.....

In fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's principle states that for an inviscid flow of a nonconducting fluid, an increase in the speed of the fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure or a decrease in the fluid's potential energy.

Conversely... If there was a spot in the oil passage that the diameter was larger, the oil flow would slow down at the enlarged portion and the pressure would increase. Possible that the point in the passage that they tapped for the oil pressure gauge was larger, and therefore read a higher pressure reading...(at that particular point)

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      That is GREAT info however, it is really hard to get your mind around the concept of how Oil Pressure in the same semi-sealed system could vary from one point to the other.

The Stude. Engineers must have known something that I do not.

I do have to say that I own exactly such a vehicle though and it does run 70-80 psi! An early enough '63S to have the Oil Pressure Gauge line coming from the Right side, as all previous flathead and OHV Sixes had forever!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48299[/ATTACH] Does anyone actually have a Late '63 or '64 Six Cylinder that has that odd situation where the rubber covered rigid copper Oil Line actually goes from the Left Front Inner Fender all that distance across to the block to a Rubber Flex Hose and then to the Oil Pressure hole in the side of Block?
      Seems like it would always be in the way when servicing the Distributor or anything on that side. Not to mention the hard line would be floppy from the Body to the Engine when it moves.
      Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-11-2015, 04:42 AM.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My 63 Lark with 259 V8 has high pressure as well. The car was built in April 1963. Fully warmed up, and running 15W-40 diesel dino at 40MPH I typically exhibit 55 pounds of pressure. On the highway at 65 mph I run 65 PSI. I have probably the cleanest oil pressure regulator value in Northampton County too, so I know that's not an issue. I've chalked it up to either the viscosity of the oil, or an inaccurate gauge in the instrument panel, but that may not bee necessarily correct, either. I wonder if the engineers were aware of this issue on the V8's as well? This winter I've decided to switch to 10W-40 dino so perhaps there may be a difference, who knows?
        -George-

Comment

Talk about timing.. I put 300 miles on a friend's '63 Lark this weekend. OHV 6, overdrive, and less than 26,000 original miles. The car ran smooth and flawless, but according to the gauge; 40psi of oil pressure and hot idle, and 60 when cruising down the highway.. Thanks for posting the service letter. We'll look into it.

Comment

Thank you very much for that important piece of information. As I own (or should I say the contrary?) 63 S - 11606, I'm fully concerned by this and, yes, my oil line is on the right side of the car. After a full rebuilt and using 20W50 as usual, the readings were so high that I switched to 15W40. Now, they are the same that on George's 259. I think I'll try to hook another gauge on the left side of the engine to see if there is a difference.
            Nice day to all.
            sigpic

Comment

want to put a oil pressure guage on my 64 cruiser 289 v/8 were would I connect it. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Comment

Working...
              X