12 volt 6 volt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt 6 volt

I have found another car and thinking about looking at it. It is out of town (natch) and will take the better part of a day to get there and back.

The owner stated that the car barely ran. I told him if I got the car I would trailer it home.

Here is the part that has me scratching my head. Here is his description of the mechanical situation:

As far as running, the engine seems good I have trouble keeping it running. it stops and I have to raise the hood, prime, etc I have only gone forward to the street and back. On stands, it seems to shift okay Not much smoke. The engine had been replaced before I got it. Only the engine and lights have been converted to 12 volt.

I have never converted 6 to 12 before so I am a bit confused. I guess you could do a volt a drop on the gauges and stuff, but I can't wrap my head around how half could be 12 volt and the other still 6 volt. I am guessing it is a 56 up engine instead of a 52 that the car originally started out life.

All you good Studebaker Experts help me out here.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

There are some options, I would leave the car 6 volts, if the engine is 12 volts it can be converted to 6 volts and will start and run perfectly. I have a 54 champion that is 6 volts and I have installed a 63 259 12 volt engine and I converted it to 6 volts so everything is 6 volts and it starts up smartly with in one revolution. I was unable to find a 6 volt standard transmission starter for a V8, therefore I had to use a 6 volt starter from an automatic and swap the snout from a 12 volt standard and adapt a 12 volt style starter gear to the 6 volt armature shaft by turning the shaft down from 1/2 to 3/8 for about an additional inch. It was a relatively simple process. Option two change the ring gear to fit, option three leave the engine 12 volts, start and run it on 12 volts and charge the 12 volt battery from an external source. You would need two batteries, a 12 volt and 6 volt. 6 volts to run the car and 12 volts to run the engine.

Comment

The "OTHER" stuff that is 6 volt is simply not hooked up.
      Doesn't work.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
        There are some options, I would leave the car 6 volts, if the engine is 12 volts it can be converted to 6 volts and will start and run perfectly. I have a 54 champion that is 6 volts and I have installed a 63 259 12 volt engine and I converted it to 6 volts so everything is 6 volts and it starts up smartly with in one revolution. I was unable to find a 6 volt standard transmission starter for a V8, therefore I had to use a 6 volt starter from an automatic and swap the snout from a 12 volt standard and adapt a 12 volt style starter gear to the 6 volt armature shaft by turning the shaft down from 1/2 to 3/8 for about an additional inch. It was a relatively simple process. Option two change the ring gear to fit, option three leave the engine 12 volts, start and run it on 12 volts and charge the 12 volt battery from an external source. You would need two batteries, a 12 volt and 6 volt. 6 volts to run the car and 12 volts to run the engine.
        OR Run 2 - 6 volt batteries in series.
        Two fuse panels.
        One panel connected to the 1st battery in series for 12 volt stuff.
        The 2nd fuse panel connected to the 2nd 6 volt battery in series for the 6 volt stuff.
        A 12 volt battery has 6 cells. With 2 - 6 volt batteries [3 cells per battery] in series there are still 6 cells.
        Only difference is a tap is provided for a 6 volt source.
        A standard 12 volt charging system is used.
        Randy Rundall [Fifth Avenue Tech Tips, Page 7] discussed this and provided diagrams in 2 articles in Turning Wheels.
        December 2014 and January 2015.
        Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 10-07-2015, 10:55 PM.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thanks for the information. I am planning on making the trip next week to see what has happened along the way to where the car is right now. It has a problematic transmission but I am not sure if it is the Detroit Gear or Borg Warner. If the engine was swapped as the owner stated, it is possible that the transmission came along for the ride. When I see the engine number I will have a better idea what is going on.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ

Comment

Will this engine and trans be going into your '55 Speedster Bob?

Comment

No I have the numbers matching 259 P series code engine and DG 250. The speedster engine has the optional 8.0 heads.

The car I am looking at is a 1952 Landcruiser. Talked to the owner today. He said it would probably be a good all around driver but to bring back to original probably not in the cards. It does run and he had it on stands and ran it to where the trans would shift. Until I see what the engine number stamped on the block, in the dark. He did go out and look while I was talking to him because I asked where the trans dipstick was. He first said let me look under the hood. I mentioned it would be on the trans hump and either on the right side or left center side. He opened the car and said it was left center.

So I may be looking at another Fronk en steen Studebaker. I will report back later on the 6/12 volt system, engine and trans as well. At least, I would have a Studebaker to knock around in, probably not worth much, but I really want a car that is not in 10,000 pieces. Right now, I am thinking if I can't find a hardtop parts car, I will graft the entire inner/outer trunk from a 62 parts car so 1/2 the car will be started on the road.

Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ

Comment

With the trans filler tube in that location, it definitely sounds like the original 'DG' tranny is still in it.

Comment

That is what I think it is. I wish it was a 3 speed/overdrive car, but will to think hard about the DG I know how they drive on the highway with overdrive but don't know how they cruise with the DG Automatic, although I do like the lock up torque converter. Again, the price seems fair without seeing the car. Dutiful husband; his wife is suffering from dementia and he is taking care of her all the time.

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                    The "OTHER" stuff that is 6 volt is simply not hooked up.
                    Doesn't work.
                    That is exactly the case. Hopefully the loon didn't try 12 volts to the gauges and especially the radio. Even an 8 volt system will smoke the radio. Probably, when he said the lights were 12 volt, it was only a bulb change for the headlights....all other small bulbs require a bit of work to get 12 V bulbs in sockets meant for 6 V. The original starter will thrive on 12 v. But the coil won't. So, I'm thinking the guy changed the headlights and the coil and that is the extent of his screwing around.

Comment

I changed my '54 K to 12 volts. I did a little cross checking on bulb charts, and comparing '54 to '56 shop manuals. I was able to find 12 volt bulbs to fit all my sockets without modification.
                      The front turn/park lamps went from 6v 1158 to 12v 1176, rear stop/tail/turn- 6v 1154 to 12v 1157, instrument lamps- 6v 51 to 12v 53, dome and courtesy lamps- 6v 88 to 12v 1004, License light 6v 63 to 12v 67, headlights 6v 4030 to 12v 5400, or h6024, fog lights 6v 4015 to 12v 4415.
                      I used the wiper, heater and defroster motors from a '56, and the "innards" of later gauges in my housings. The radio is the only place I had to use a voltage reducing resistor.
                      Hope this helps.
                      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Thanks Dwight that is very helpful. If I do buy the car, I will follow all those steps and it will save hours of searching for the correct bulbs. This will make things better too as far as having everything the same except the radio. If I need to, I will contact Roy Valdez to get the radio squared away.

Thanks to everyone that posted. When I do go to Phoenix to look at the car, I will let everyone know what I find.

Bob Miles
                        Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                          /Cut/If I need to, I will contact Roy Valdez to get the radio squared away.

Thanks to everyone that posted. When I do go to Phoenix to look at the car, I will let everyone know what I find.

Bob Miles Tucson AZ
                          Roy Valdez? I think you might mean Radio Roy or "Bud", they work on Radios, Valdez sells rebuilt Antennas.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You are correct sir! I need to get with Roy Valdez for the antenna I need for the 55 and Radio Roy maybe for the 52, if I get it.

Bob Miles
                            Tucson AZ

Comment

Working...
                            X