Fronkensteen "Hawk"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fronkensteen "Hawk"

I've been lusting after a Hawk for decades. However, There are some things I like about the '56 Sky Hawk, and some things I'd change to suit MY tastes. Crapping up a genie '56 Sky Hawk, to me, would be a sin. I'd change things like the hood (Silver Hawk), the location of the parking lights, tail lights, etc. I LOVE the hardtops over the 2 dr sedans(Coupe), and what I'd do is try to source a Commander 2r Hdtp and build it the way "I" would like...Hawk hood/trunk, front grilles(?) mounted parking lights (Silver Hawk), stock looking BEEFED up 289, Tach, Hawk style two tone paint, '56 Golden Hawk fins,(NO Camarro seats)...things of this nature. Now, would I be lynched by the "Studebaker People", or would I be able to join my local club? I know there are Purists, and there are Street Rodders, so I would welcome all comments. I REALLY want a Hawk style coupe...I REALLY do.
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 10-07-2015, 08:05 AM.

345 DeSoto Find a car and do as you please with it just leave a Studebaker emblem that can be read. Please don't use a Speedster but other than that your car build it the way you want.

Comment

There are certain people here who will criticize you no matter what you do with the car. You will soon be able to recognize them and can utilize the ignore button to be spared having to view their posts.

Comment

Ive been a SDC member for nearly fifty years and don't own a stock Stude. My Hawk, Avanti and pickup are all done the way Studebaker would have built them had they a bigger budget and more imagination The Hawk has a C-body with '64 front clip, '53-55 deck lid and a supercharged Packard V8.

Don't ask for permission or affirmation. Just build what you like to drive.

Jack Vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Seems you should start with a 55 and just add what you want. First time you get the hood hook from a Hawk on the back of the head, you might prefer the 55 hood, though.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Sounds like a great combo to me, but I'd like the 62-64 dash, and buckets in it--just saying--. No ropes here, just move 1/2 way north/south

Comment

It seems like a 1957 or 1958 Silver Hawk hardtop would give you what you want with the exception of the 1956 Golden Hawk fiberglass fins.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Start with a shell if you have to. Build it the safest and comfortable way you want. It will be more expensive that way but sometimes you may need to start some place. Don't get impatient and make expensive mistakes.

My first car was a Speedster with a 56 Hawk front clip. But in 1968 who cared? I did have the best of both worlds, just did not know it at the time.

Bob Miles
                Tucson Az

Comment

I want to get a 63 Lark Daytona hardtop with a single headlight 61 Lark nose piece and drop a 5.3 LS engine in it.

Comment

I don't think I've ever owned a completely stock Studebaker, but I DO like to stick with all Studebaker parts! Also, I agree that '56 GH fins do look nice on the C/K body!

Comment

Tony, sounds like You'll have a busy fun "what fits what,what will adapt etc." time if You DO execute this.just to clarify,is it a Hard Top or Coupe that You actually want to start with ?

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                      I've been lusting after a Hawk for decades. However, There are some things I like about the '56 Sky Hawk, and some things I'd change to suit MY tastes. Crapping up a genie '56 Sky Hawk, to me, would be a sin. I'd change things like the hood (Silver Hawk), the location of the parking lights, tail lights, etc. I LOVE the hardtops over the 2 dr sedans(Coupe), and what I'd do is try to source a Commander 2r Hdtp and build it the way "I" would like...Hawk hood/trunk, front grilles(?) mounted parking lights (Silver Hawk), stock looking BEEFED up 289, Tach, Hawk style two tone paint, '56 Golden Hawk fins,(NO Camarro seats)...things of this nature. Now, would I be lynched by the "Studebaker People", or would I be able to join my local club? I know there are Purists, and there are Street Rodders, so I would welcome all comments. I REALLY want a Hawk style coupe...I REALLY do.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Definitely a 2dr hard top. I figure around a '53 or '54...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                          Definitely a 2dr hard top. I figure around a '53 or '54...
                          Go at least 54 for the better gauge steel frame.

Comment

PM sent re car
                            ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission (except with the wife), Discussion about style/design/execution ideas on any forum that deviates from the norm always bring about a mind numbing number of conflicting messages. Build what you'all like and add pictures of it.

Keeps a clear mind and allows you to focus on your project. Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X