Headlights 62GTHawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Headlights 62GTHawk

Where is the circuit breaker for the headlights located? On the headlight switch? Here's the reason I ask: After driving home from a show a few weeks ago in a driving rainstorm, I noticed the left headlight was out. I replaced both headlights, turned on the switch and, after a second or two of nice bright headlights, nothing. Repeated attempts later on and into the next day resulted in--nothing. All connections were checked. Thinking the problem could be solved with a relay, I installed one from NAPA. Wire from headlight switch that used to go to the dimmer switch now goes to the relay. A wire from the relay now goes to the vacated dimmer switch terminal. Power to the relay is from the battery terminal on the starter solenoid and has a 15 amp in line fuse. And another wire is to ground. Thinking the problem was solved, I turned the headlight switch on. The result: nothing. Clicking the dimmer switch produced one flicker of the headlights, then nothing. With a probe light, I found when the headlight switch is on, I have power to the relay, and power from the relay to the dimmer switch. Working the probe into the small exposed part of the terminals at the dimmer switch but keeping everything connected, I have power in the line from the relay, and in the line to the high beam telltale light in the dash, but NOT to the terminal with the wires to the headlights. AHA,the problem is the dimmer switch. Nope. Still nothing, and I also tried two other known to be good dimmer switches. So now instead of driving to Hershey with the Hawk, it looks like Brand X

What am I overlooking? Would the problem be the three terminal connector (female) that connects the wires to the dimmer switch? Is the circuit breaker or headlight switch kaput? If so, why do I get power to the relay when the headlight switch is flipped? Oh yeah, the tail lights work fine.

Any and all suggestions appreciated as I'm not the swiftest guy around electrics and really would like to find the problem before taking it to a shop.

The circuit breaker is mounted on the headlight switch, but I doubt that the breaker is your problem. I replaced the dimmer switch on my 62 GT because of the same problem. If you have power coming out of the headlight switch and not the dimmer switch, the dimmer switch is where I would look for the problem. Sometimes the connections inside the connector could be corroded or loose which will cause a problem. Take a piece of # 14 or 16 wire and make a bypass connector for the dimmer switch. The red wire which is the center connection on the plug is hot and the outside wires are to the high and low beams. Push the wire into the center connection of the plug, turn on the headlights and push the other end of the wire into one of the outside terminals. The headlights will come on if there is 12 volts going to them. If you don't get lights, then there is a problem with the bulbs or connections to them past the dimmer switch. Check the other terminal on the plug to see if you get lights there also. If you do, then replace the dimmer switch. There is also a possibility that the connections inside of the dimmer switch may have broken too. Use a 12 volt test light to start probing all of the connections to see where the power stops. Bud

Comment

I'll agree with Bud on this one, Had the same issue on my 57 Golden Hawk years ago. replaced the dimmer, and no more issues. They are under the floor, where all the water, salt, dirt etc gets into them. and eventually go bad. Besides that, "most" of them are probably original to the vehicle. <G>

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
      X