2R17 4speed bellhousing object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: 2R17 4speed bellhousing object

I took the cover off the transmission, partly to ensure there's no hangup when we go to lift the engine and partly to see what was under it.
    There is a rubber plug in the top center of the bellhousing that isn't referenced in the manual, although the hole it plugs is shown open in a couple of photos.
    It's odd, it appears like it's almost an electrical plug, based on how it's shaped and that it has 2 thin vertical slots in the flat side facing out. The side against the bellhousing is rounded, like an electrical plug. I really don't think that's what it was though since the slots looked too short for a typical electrical plug, imo. Weird.

Somebody put it there to keep rats out.

Comment

Well THAT didn't work they were in the seat back and bottom AND they went to lunch on the wires in the engine compartment.

Just sayin'.

Comment

Out of the bell housing, not anywhere else.

Comment

Oh. Interesting. I'll have to see just what that plug is then.

Comment

Yes, what Alan said. My 1946 M-5 had a stuck starter drive due to mice.
            I removed the starter and cleaned and oiled the helix, but just a month later it was stuck again.
            I need to make a screen for that vent hole.

Comment

Wow. I guess I'll leave it alone if it doesn't remove easily then.

Comment

I looked at this plug closer today and it actually IS a very old, very large rubber coated electrical plug someone shoved in the hole in the bellhousing. It's still stuck in there well enough I'll leave it there but I saw today where the rubber was cracking and I could see the inside of an electrical plug.

Comment

Working...
                X