Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Carolina Members Riding The Weather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Members Riding The Weather.

Hope all are ok and in good health after seeing the News this morning.the Water,Man O Man I feel so for these People !!!
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Me too. Western NC had a surprisingly light rain and wind, only about 3" since Friday and sunny skies today, instead of the predicted 12" and heavy winds.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

I just finished telling someone, in a private message, that I am OK, since I live on "high ground." However, others are not so fortunate. New development in our former rural areas, have created run-off problems in areas never seen before. In addition, many of our roads still follow the landscape that began as wagon trails. In normal circumstances, they are sufficient, but given the extraordinary rare volume by this unusual system...some unexpected flooding. We had a fatality earlier this week when a woman drove into a flooded underpass. That is an ancient railroad underpass that will flood during small thunderstorm downpours.

Those of us who have lived here all our lives, probably know (or should know) what places to avoid. Youngsters, and new residents are more susceptible to being caught off guard and get into trouble. The poor folks in the low country are not only dealing with twice the rain as us hill folks, but will eventually receive the water running off up here. Our flooding will probably be over in a day or two. They will have flooding for a week and standing water for even longer.

Up here, our greatest immediate threat, in addition to flooding, is probably rain soaked ground causing falling trees with the wind. Very often, the trees grab a few live power lines to make the experience even more exciting.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Left Charleston at daylight Saturday morning............Just starting to get bad. Storm chased us up I26.
        Asked wife when we left for Charleston do you want to take my Titan truck or your Mustang Cobra convertible.
        (We took the convertible)
        Jack White
        Charlotte,NC
        North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

My daughter lives in Pawleys Island, SC and they have closed schools for tomorrow because of the standing water even on U.S. 17. She sent a picture of a good sized fish swimming in the street in front of her house! Their house is up a little higher than the street so they are not afraid of flooding in the house.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Charleston and Columbia are a real mess... So Is Myrtle Beach. Flash flooding very bad.
            I-95 washed out both directions in Manning, SC...
            Pic's are pretty amazing..

We had a lot of rain in SE GA, but the brunt of it hit SC..

Amazing pic's here...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sout...IVB5-ACh3wywrR
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well...tonight, there was a report that said this is the worst flooding here in a thousand years.

Call me "Mr. Skeptic"...but I want to see that original documentation.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A friend of mine from Nashville chose this weekend to visit Charleston. He posted video of people kayaking down the street outside his hotel :0

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Truly epic....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If I understood the comments correctly, at a news briefing by officials last night, there were three fatalities due to folks venturing out "sightseeing" and getting into trouble. One "High water" rescue vehicle, had the road literally crumble beneath its tires. Part of our state is called the "sandhills,"...it is an area that is said to have been an ancient seabed/beach, where fossils are abundant in the soil. Building a roadbed in these areas is difficult at best. This kind of rain really exposes the sandhill areas to serious erosion.

This morning, they announced that I-95 has been shut down from Florence to the I-26 interchange. That's about seventy miles of major highway. A TV reporter said this morning, that his usually under two hour trip down to Columbia, took five hours yesterday evening. Where I live, it is beginning to clear, and the wind is kicking up. Down state, this is going to take a long time to recover from.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                    X