Minnesota Steam Train Photo Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Steam Train Photo Op

Next Saturday, October 10th, the 261 will make a run to near Superior, Wisconsin and return the same day. This is a fall colors tour, and you can either ride the train or use it for a good photo op. Just study the route and have your Studebaker parked at one of the crossings as the train zips by. I did both about 10 years ago.

The next day, Sunday the 11th, the 261 will head west to Willmar, Minnesota, and return the same day. Same thing goes, you can ride the train or use it as a good photo op.

Check out "Friends of the 261"

https://www.showclix.com/event/Event2311372347

$79.00 to $578.00 sure seems like an awful lot to ride a steam train, I'd be doing the photo op too.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

It is a bit of an expense and I'm glad I rode it about 10 years ago.
      I did learn not to stick my head out the window or into the wind while standing between the cars. Those fine cinders will stick to your eyeballs like glue and they are like sandpaper.

Comment

Ya, but the cinders are great for sandblasting your teeth! Norfolk Southern has banned open vestibules for those reasons, but being on the crew of the 611 let me enjoy the sounds, smells, and eye irritation of coal fired steam!
        ALCO made some great engines too, and I am happy to see the 261 is still operating. Cough up the money for a ride, it keeps these engines going, and anyway, how many more chances to ride will you have?

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        It is a bit of an expense and I'm glad I rode it about 10 years ago.
        I did learn not to stick my head out the window or into the wind while standing between the cars. Those fine cinders will stick to your eyeballs like glue and they are like sandpaper.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
          Ya, but the cinders are great for sandblasting your teeth! Norfolk Southern has banned open vestibules for those reasons, but being on the crew of the 611 let me enjoy the sounds, smells, and eye irritation of coal fired steam!
          ALCO made some great engines too, and I am happy to see the 261 is still operating. Cough up the money for a ride, it keeps these engines going, and anyway, how many more chances to ride will you have?
          ...Key word here...."cough."

Comment

Sold out? At least no more tickets are available online.

I've been following the story of the Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy 4014 returning to UP to be refurbished for their excursions. Worth checking out by rail fans.
            Jim K.
            63 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by JimK View Post
              Sold out? At least no more tickets are available online.

I've been following the story of the Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy 4014 returning to UP to be refurbished for their excursions. Worth checking out by rail fans.
              Now that sounds fantastic. That's always been my favorite large engine and I always wondered what it would be like to see and hear it in action. I wasn't aware of plans to put one back into service.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                Now that sounds fantastic. That's always been my favorite large engine and I always wondered what it would be like to see and hear it in action. I wasn't aware of plans to put one back into service.
                Here's a good place to start:

You can also search YouTube for 4014 and get a number of videos from UP as well as rail fans.
                Jim K.
                63 Hawk

Comment

Working...
                X