Notastude...project update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notastude...project update

I have to admit I'm Studeless for the first time in 20 years or so. Still working on cars, however. My current project is a 77 MGB Roadster that I have converted from "rubber" bumpers to chrome, lowered it, and installed a 3.5 Rover aluminum V8 (think 215 Buick) and Camaro V8 T5.

I introduced it here just after I had finished painting it a few weeks ago...

I've now cut and buffed it, installed the engine and trans, and started assembly...

I really like the Primrose Yellow on it. Not what you would expect on a hot rod.

I'll backdate the interior with early no headrest seats in black with white piping.

Lots more to go, but the assembly is the fun part.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Since the MGB was still being made in England into the 1990's as the RV8, try and locate and MG air cleaner for it, if you havn't already done so. http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...ah-1994-mg-rv8

Craig

Comment

That is going to be sweet, Dick. I am clueless about those but suspect the wheels are not stock, but they look good on there! Are you working out of a new shop?

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        Since the MGB was still being made in England into the 1990's as the RV8, try and locate and MG air cleaner for it, if you havn't already done so. http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...ah-1994-mg-rv8

Craig
        Although somewhat of a "continuation", the RV8 is a very different car than the MGB. The 3.9 Rover V8 in it was fuel injected. The RV8 had a taller hood AND a "bubble" in it to clear the air cleaner...

Mine is carburated. I'm going totally stealth. Stock hood. Jon Falcon (industrial design buddy who was instrumental in the making of the Kart Hauler) is fabricating a styled bonnet for the carb that will hook to a plenum that replaces the stock heater that is fed by outside air from the cowl vent. There is a K & N air cleaner in the plenum. Pretty trick and it all fits under the hood.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
          That is going to be sweet, Dick. I am clueless about those but suspect the wheels are not stock, but they look good on there! Are you working out of a new shop?
          The wheels are new copies of Panasports or Mini Lites that were popular on English sports cars in the 60's.

http://www.vtowheels.com/14-x-55-Sil...-4-_p_329.html

I think I've changed shops about 4 times. I keep trying to downsize since I know from experience I fill the space I have. This one is just big enough for a couple of cars with still room to assemble the B...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Pretty little car.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Dick, you're having to (or is it 'too') (don't answer that, I don't care) much fun for a man of your age, you need to slow down. <G>
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Looks very nice. I have never thought much about B's one way or the other but lately have been admiring them very much. They look a lot like the 59 Ferrari GT 250 PF coupe, but I actually think the B may be a better looking car....except for the grill which cannot be beat on the f car.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                  Dick, you're having to (or is it 'too') (don't answer that, I don't care) much fun for a man of your age, you need to slow down. <G>
                  Takes one to know one.
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                    Looks very nice. I have never thought much about B's one way or the other but lately have been admiring them very much. They look a lot like the 59 Ferrari GT 250 PF coupe, but I actually think the B may be a better looking car....except for the grill which cannot be beat on the f car.
                    I'd have to admit that EVERYTHING is better on the F car.

The 70-72 MGB's had what is called the "fishmouth grill". I think it was to copy the look of some of the Ferraris. I have a stock 71 B also...

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here's the thing. There are lots of builders who take vehicles and do some radical, creative, modifications. You see them all the time, personalized, customized, stylized, as an expression of how the customizer thought he would have done it.I don't see that with Steinkamp's work. Always classy, nothing over the top weirdly radical. Always a tasteful well executed "upgrade."

You know...one of the major tenants of marshal arts, is to use the opponents momentum to your advantage. That is how I see Dick's skillful application of his talent. No wild hacking away, No out of place razzle dazzle. Always keeping the best of the original. Like any good art, appreciation grows with study and examination.

The best complement I can think of, is not "That's the way Dick would have built it"...but rather, That's the way "THEY" should have built it. From what I'm seeing here...another example living up to our high expectations of your work. Keep the updates flowing Dick.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                        The 3.9 Rover V8 in it was fuel injected. Mine is carburated.
                        Okay, gotcha! 'Wasn't sure how 'new' or how 'vintage' your ex-Buick/Rover engine you're planning to use is. Is it out of an old Rover 3500S sedan?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Okay, gotcha! 'Wasn't sure how 'new' or how 'vintage' your ex-Buick/Rover engine you're planning to use is. Is it out of an old Rover 3500S sedan?

Craig
                          Yes...late 60's early 70's P6. It came with cross flow SU's that would never fit under the hood, but a 215 Buick/Olds 4 barrel manifold bolts right on.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          Here's the thing...
                          Thanks, John.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

This may not quite keep up with a Sunbeam Tiger, but it still should be a blast with real sleeper potential. Nice car. Keep having fun.
                            Jim K.
                            63 Hawk

Comment

Dick, it looks GREAT... My '68 GT was Primrose yellow, although it certainly wasn't nice anymore.. I never thought I would like that color. But fresh and shiny, it looks fantastic on your roadster..

One of my coworkers has been teasing me with pictures of a really nice, restored '71 B roadster (red, just like yours), that has been sitting dormant in her garage for the last few years.. I've been able to resist so far. You aren't helping.

Comment

Working...
                              X