Who's going to Carlisle this weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's going to Carlisle this weekend?

Show of hands,please. Not looking for a lot of parts this time around, but just to see what's out there.I'll be tromping around up there Saturday with my old Studebaker hat!

*Admin.--If this needs to be moved to "Stove Huggers", please do so.

My brother and my nephew.
    I have to stay home.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Take pics of Studes...
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I can't go but if anyone finds a 58 rear license plate frame I would be glad to pay for it! AC- 50048 or AC-50051. #51 is gold which I would prefer. my phone is 732-278-5759 Jim If you go to my page (mnmfive) or search the post for a rear license plate frame you will see a link that shows the pic of them. It's a three sided frame that was offered by studebaker and is in the accessory book for 1958.
        Last edited by mnmfive; 09-30-2015, 04:52 AM.
        Jim Rostron

Comment

Maybe on Thu and Fri, depending on the weather and a possible need to move my 3R6 out of a possible flood zone.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

My wife and I walked around from noon until 5PM on Thursday. I was looking for some parts for my '57 GH. Nothing Studebaker!, we saw one, I think, '52 Studebaker, and, a newer hubcap with the S on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenhawk67 View Post
              My wife and I walked around from noon until 5PM on Thursday. I was looking for some parts for my '57 GH. Nothing Studebaker!, we saw one, I think, '52 Studebaker, and, a newer hubcap with the S on it.
              I have the same bad luck in finding Studebaker parts at common swap meets. I have had good luck at Studebaker only swap meets though.

Comment

Yes, if you are involved in a variety of marques, Carlisle and Hershey are a salivaters dream. I've been involved in only Studebakers for forty years and for those of us in this neck of the woods, Reedsville and York are the only places our candy is abundant. I can enjoy the big multi-brand shows; and I've actually purchased one or two generic items but, it's a lot of walking to see a lot of delicacies that I couldn't even contemplate accommodating.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

As Rockne said, it's a great venue for parts from the old "Big 3" American companies as well as things like signs, shop tools and supplies -- but very little Stude-only stuff. The Stude-only vendors all migrated to York and Reedsville some time ago. I've been going to the Carlisle shows for ~40 years, and have used them to stock my garage with things like Dorman parts cabinets, industrial-strength floor jacks, and the kind of stuff you go to NAPA for -- NORS ignition parts, freeze plugs, and sandpaper. But the best part is simply walking around and looking at all the old cars and old car stuff.

When the Carlisle show started in 1974, it was quite revolutionary, since it was focused primarily on post-WWII cars and parts -- the huge AACA Hershey show did not then permit anything for a vehicle that did not meet their 25-year old rule. The Carlisle show also had lots of food vendors -- something else that was not common at that time. It established a format that is now common all around the country. At its peak in the 80s and 90s, there was a long waiting list for its 8000 vendor spaces, and some of them were changing hands for several thousand dollars per 10'x20' space. The Internet and ebay have now eaten into both the business base and the attendance, but it's still worth a day or two to walk around.

That said, this year's fall show was/is a complete wash-out due to the weather. A real bummer for the thousands of vendors who had already set up on the field.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip
                    I agree with every thing you said, Carlisle sure not what it used to be, however vendors are not finding inventories as they have in the past, so there are less parts. In years past I remember being told there were so much Stude stuff they didn't have the monies to buy everything they wanted. However I still have found many treasures at Carlisle including a ten ft neon Studebaker sign. Went up Thur and the rain held off until we were ready to leave at 3:30. Next week for Hershey they are calling for near perfect weather. Jerry Kurtz

Comment

As previously mentioned, it basically rained most of the day with a bit of a break around noon.Many vendors were packing up to leave early while other spaces were already empty.The only thing I saw Studebaker was a CASO painted "Studebaker" magnet,lol. I did manage to score a set of glass T-tops for the Crapparo!

Comment

Working...
                      X