Restoration process tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration process tips

For those of you who have restored several vehicles, of any make, I know there is no one way to do things, but have you found a process that works better for you in getting a car's mechanicals back in order when starting with a restoration job? I'm referring to brakes, wheels, trans, rear end, engine, electricals and fuel system essentially. I would think the electrical issues would be done later in the process, in general.

I'm going through a '52 2R17A and it's been the basics, so far, but I'm at a point where I can go several different directions and feel I would be smarter and more efficient to stick with one system before tackling another but that's just the impression I'm sensing. I'd appreciate others' experiences. The pistons move easily and the radiator is out getting restored, the carb is in the process of getting cleaned and gone through. Heater core has been flushed out.

If this needs to be moved to the Tech Forum, so be it....

Thanks!

A wise expression I have heard expressed many times on this forum is, 'First, make it stop...THEN, make it go." This is usually referring to someone acquiring a non-running vehicle and trying to get it on the road.
    Are you planning a frame-off restoration or restore as you go on a running vehicle? If you are doing a full restoration on a non-running vehicle, some other good advice is, don't do everything at once...choose smaller projects and complete them before tearing everything apart. Otherwise, you run the risk of having a complete basket case of disassembled parts that can become overwhelming to get finished.
    In my case, I chose to do the body work, paint and chrome so that I have some satisfaction of being able to drive a beautiful vehicle in spring and summer while I go through the electrical and mechanical projects over each winter. It will take a few years but eventually I will have a new car!
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Comment

Pictures, pictures and more pictures. I started my restoration 5 1/2 years ago. I checked today and I have 6,475 pictures. I can go back and see how just about everything was put together. Pretty critical when there may be months between taking something off and putting it back on after it is replaced, cleaned, rebuilt, etc.

Charlie D.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
        A wise expression I have heard expressed many times on this forum is, 'First, make it stop...THEN, make it go." This is usually referring to someone acquiring a non-running vehicle and trying to get it on the road.
        Are you planning a frame-off restoration or restore as you go on a running vehicle? If you are doing a full restoration on a non-running vehicle, some other good advice is, don't do everything at once...choose smaller projects and complete them before tearing everything apart. Otherwise, you run the risk of having a complete basket case of disassembled parts that can become overwhelming to get finished.
        In my case, I chose to do the body work, paint and chrome so that I have some satisfaction of being able to drive a beautiful vehicle in spring and summer while I go through the electrical and mechanical projects over each winter. It will take a few years but eventually I will have a new car!
        This is just a get back on the road and operating, restoration. Body will be later, if at all. Thank goodness for the rat rod aesthetic, the body is sound and not banged up, just evenly oxidized all over the cab. If only the one exposed wheel didn't oxidize, I'd have evenly faded red rims, for a complete 'look'. I have surprised myself that I haven't found myself with a torn apart pile yet, but I was sensing I was heading in that direction, so that prompted me to ask for others' experience. As long as this is, it lends itself to the pressure to make it a front half/back half effort as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
          Pictures, pictures and more pictures. I started my restoration 5 1/2 years ago. I checked today and I have 6,475 pictures. I can go back and see how just about everything was put together. Pretty critical when there may be months between taking something off and putting it back on after it is replaced, cleaned, rebuilt, etc.

Charlie D.
          Good point. I felt I should have done that with the carb, but, I did take it apart and set the pieces in set groups and it's a one barrel, so I feel I can still make that go back in order, despite no photos.

Comment

I have photos (on chips) all over the place and can't find them when needed. Getting two new cameras along the way didn't help wither. I started with 35mm slides. It is expensive, but I would suggest printing the photos... THEN you will have them all in one spot. Even printing on paper is usually plenty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
              I have photos (on chips) all over the place and can't find them when needed. Getting two new cameras along the way didn't help wither. I started with 35mm slides. It is expensive, but I would suggest printing the photos... THEN you will have them all in one spot. Even printing on paper is usually plenty good.
              Good point. Plus, if you're going to need those photos, do you have a grease resistant way to use the camera to go back to find those photos you took when you disassembled something??? Printed photos are easier to handle with dirty hands.

Comment

Make notes to yourself on the various systems. When taking something apart make notes on the order things came apart, then you can reverse it to put them back together. It does't replace photos but it can be a nice supplement. I bought a spiral notebook and kept it in the shop. I made notes about shims and spacers and their location. For example, I noted the thickness of the spacer between the body and frame at each bolt. That way I didn't have to re-invent the wheel when I put the body back on the chassis.

I also kept a "don't forget list" in the back of the book. That included things like, don't forget to tighten the control arm bushing bolts after the engine and sheet metal is back on the car.
                Wayne
                "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

Charlie D.
                  This is great advise! You know the old saying..."a picture is worth a thousand words."

Comment

Charlie D.
                    A ton of ziploc baggies of various sizes, and a couple of Sharpies to label them makes finding the non replaceable hardware months later...........

Comment

I started with the interior and the electrics, all the stuff I could do myself and in my own shed. I waited for access to a hoist to pull the engine ( for a swap) and trans ( for one that works), do the front end and brakes. Bags and labels come in very handy, especially for all those bolts that look similar. I am so glad I went to the trouble of bagging everything - things got pretty messy there for a while. Also, I always take a few pics before pulling something apart. E.g printed out pics of my brakes on A4 paper before disassembly - invaluable for a first time builder.

Comment

When I started on my '48 M16 in '06 I made sure the engine would run so I would have a mobile vehicle and not a pile for my neighbors to complain about. I was so proud of myself for getting it running until I realized that it has no brakes! The engine and brakes should be done at about the same time. At least find out what shape the engine is in before the brakes to make sure where to focus your time and resources. Neal

Comment

Keep a notebook.
                          Realistic expectations.
                          Work on something every day.
                          My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                          sigpic
                          Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                          in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Excellent advice from many. The biggest downfall I've seen is losing interest in your project, and the best way to avoid this is to DO SOMETHING EVERY DAY! even the smallest thing counts, as long as you make something happen every day. Good luck and keep plugging away. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
                              The biggest downfall I've seen is losing interest in your project, and the best way to avoid this is to DO SOMETHING EVERY DAY! even the smallest thing counts, as long as you make something happen every day.
                              I'll third that advice. Make SOME progress EVERY day. Not "buying parts" progress, but real hands on progress on the project. If you find you don't (or can't) do this, and/or find you really don't enjoy this part, you may be in the wrong hobby.
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X