6 volt charger/starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6 volt charger/starter?

I have a 12v charger/starter that works great (it will both charge a 12v battery & start a 12v car,) but I can't find one in 6v. Does anyone know if it's available and where to get it?

Most commercial auto repair chargers that I've seen will provide both 6v and 12v.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I have one similar to this one
      The problem with my particular model is that it will "Jump start" 6 volt systems, but does not have a normal "charging" rate for six volts. The brand is Schumacher. Northern Tool sells the brand, and I'm sure there are many other suppliers. I bought mine on sale and did not realize it was "Jump-Start" only for six volt systems until weeks later when I actually needed to use it. However, I have other chargers that take care of that for me. They sell chargers in all kinds of configurations. Depends on what bells and whistles you are willing to pay for. In addition to these wheeled Pro Series chargers, you can buy chargers that are automatic and "Sense" the correct voltage before beginning the charge. I use a low output automatic charger as a "Maintainer" charger for my Studebakers, tractor, and motorcycle. With a little research, you should find a charger that suits your needs.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. Just to clarify, what I really want is a unit to start a 6v system in a car. As was mentioned above, there is a charger (probably many) that senses when to go 6v and when to go 12v. I have one of those and like it. But, I want a unit to start a 6v car. If both start and charge are on the same unit, that's ok. But, what I really need is the starter function.

Comment

Well...like I posted...the Pro series Schumacher model that I have will "START" a six volt system, but not charge it. There are other models that will do both. If you are looking for one of those little starter units, and you only plan to use it for starting... rather than charging...twelve volt "Quick-Start" units will start a six volt system. However, keep in mind that those little emergency type quick start units have a limited life, and might not hold up well for the heavy "current" draw of a six volt system. Had to come back and add...there are no Northern Tool stores in your state. However, Sears, and even Walmart sells the Schumacher brand. However, like most smart retailers, they probably don't stock anything but the most popular models. You might have to find an automotive parts store, and even have to special order the unit you need.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for the information, JClary. I see that I did miss-read your earlier quote. I will do some more looking; maybe you are right that they might not be in stock anywhere. A couple of places where I asked, they gave me that look like "what would you want one of those for?"

Comment

I got my 6/12 volt Charger and Start Booster at Harbor Freight, depends on which sale you catch, $49.95, $39.95 or $29.95.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X