Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharged '56 Packard

Hi
    This just showed up on Ebay, looks in need of restoration but I'll bet that old Packard flies!!!

Now, everyone can see how to set it up on a '56 Golden Hawk!

Steve

Looks like a home made kit, and it won't "fly", not with with the smaller Packard engine in a 4000 pound car.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Looks like a home made kit, and it won't "fly", not with with the smaller Packard engine in a 4000 pound car.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Certainly looks like a homemade piece. I gotta give him credit for getting it installed in there. There are a couple of things though:
        The blower of course appears to be the SN60 as the snout is smaller, and has a double pulley setup. Overall the blower setup looks like it was pulled from an Avanti.
        Among other things,I pray he sealed that other model Carter carb or used another model of sealed Carter carb, as the sealed 4 bbl Carter thats used picks up from the front and not the rear. [:O]
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Certainly looks like a homemade piece. I gotta give him credit for getting it installed in there. There are a couple of things though:
          The blower of course appears to be the SN60 as the snout is smaller, and has a double pulley setup. Overall the blower setup looks like it was pulled from an Avanti.
          Among other things,I pray he sealed that other model Carter carb or used another model of sealed Carter carb, as the sealed 4 bbl Carter thats used picks up from the front and not the rear. [:O]
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

FWIW, I know the seller from another Packard forum and he is a very creative mechanic and fabbed the installation a couple of years ago. It will be interesting to see if the supercharger overcomes having a 320" in the Patrician.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

FWIW, I know the seller from another Packard forum and he is a very creative mechanic and fabbed the installation a couple of years ago. It will be interesting to see if the supercharger overcomes having a 320" in the Patrician.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

I wouldn't just assume the seller is correct in saying it has a 320--weren't those the Packard-Built engine installed in Nashes? Probably has a 352.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

I wouldn't just assume the seller is correct in saying it has a 320--weren't those the Packard-Built engine installed in Nashes? Probably has a 352.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

The 320 was also used in 55 Packard Clippers.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

The 320 was also used in 55 Packard Clippers.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Right in the written body of the ad it says that it is a SN60 Paxton from a '63 Avanti. It also appears to have a GM HEI distributor. At 320 cubes the Avanti SN60 is a little small, although it should give a good low rpm boost. It would be cool with its hood up at just about any cruise night because it would be so unexpected.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                        Packrat junk collector
                        '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Right in the written body of the ad it says that it is a SN60 Paxton from a '63 Avanti. It also appears to have a GM HEI distributor. At 320 cubes the Avanti SN60 is a little small, although it should give a good low rpm boost. It would be cool with its hood up at just about any cruise night because it would be so unexpected.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                          Packrat junk collector
                          '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

It's my car, and yes, it flies, yes it's a 320, out of a 1955 Hudson Hornet. Yes, it has an HEI distibutor, it wasn't to easy to make, but it works excellent. The SN60 is out of a '63 Avanti, the carb's an Edelbrock, which according to VS57.com, doesn't need to be sealed at the boost levels I'm using. The blower bracket was made by Packard V8 Club members at the first Packard V8 Club meeting in Pahrump, Nv, in 2005. It's probably as close to professional manufacture as you can get, because the guy who built it from our mockup is a fabrication God!
                            Any questions on how to supercharge a Packard V8, just ask, as I can tell you anything you need to know.

Eric

Comment

It's my car, and yes, it flies, yes it's a 320, out of a 1955 Hudson Hornet. Yes, it has an HEI distibutor, it wasn't to easy to make, but it works excellent. The SN60 is out of a '63 Avanti, the carb's an Edelbrock, which according to VS57.com, doesn't need to be sealed at the boost levels I'm using. The blower bracket was made by Packard V8 Club members at the first Packard V8 Club meeting in Pahrump, Nv, in 2005. It's probably as close to professional manufacture as you can get, because the guy who built it from our mockup is a fabrication God!
                              Any questions on how to supercharge a Packard V8, just ask, as I can tell you anything you need to know.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X