Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1954 Commander Starlight overdrive cable -- where does it go through the firewall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1954 Commander Starlight overdrive cable -- where does it go through the firewall?

My car was missing its overdrive cable when it came to me (according to the build sheet, it did come from the factory with overdrive). I now have all the parts to reinstall one. First of all, I'm assuming the handle mounts under the dash just to the right of the parking brake handle--there are two holes with just the right spacing to secure the OD handle bracket, but it is a little crowded there in such close proximity to the parking brake handle. Please correct me of that's not the right place.

After mounting the handle, what hole in the firewall does the OD cable go through? I tried routing it next to the speedometer cable but going that way, the OD cable is not long enough (and it does not appear that the cable has been shortened).

Thanks.
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

This is not a "T" handle cable but a long handle with OD embossed in the handle right? It has been my experience that all Studebaker O/D handles mount to the left side of the dash. Since I don't have a car now with O/D to go out and look at where everything goes together I am just going by memory.

Ok guys, chime in.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

Here's a picture of the cable and handle. It is the long, vertical, chrome and black handle with OD embossed on it. Bob, you're right about the location of the handle. I got out my John Bridges book on the '53-54. On pages 146-147, there are pictures that show it in both years on the left side of the steering column, just to the right of the heater control handle. That being the case, the OD cable most likely goes through the firewall through the same hole as the speedometer cable.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pete R; 09-23-2015, 10:38 AM. Reason: N
      Pete R
      Woodbridge, VA
      1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
      1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Comment

The one on my '61 Hawk goes thru the transmission hump under the dash. I don't know if this is the original location. There is a little hump, open on the high end about the top of the tunnel near the long plate that is screwed to the floor to access the bellhousing bolts, I think?- Jim

Comment

I have a 54 Champion, and the Commander firewall is the same. The OD cable goes through its own separate grommet that is outside-most on the driver's side of the firewall. Under the dash there is a cardboard component covering insulation it should have a hole in it, if not you will have to punch, drill or cut to create a hole to feed the cable through.

Comment

Working...
          X