Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shift shaft seals - say that fast ten times !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Shift shaft seals - say that fast ten times !

My '62 Lark w/ DG250 or 200 not sure which, has a leak at the shift shaft seals. I bought some from Studebaker Intl. and am ready to replace them. My question is; Do I need to remove the valve body to access the nut at the end of the levers?

A picture would help, as I'm not familure with this tranny, but have replaced several shift shaft seals in other makes of automatics. I never had to remove a valve body, but would remove the nut and lever, then use a pick or sharp center punch to poke a hole and pry the seal out. If the shaft has rust, it's best to sand it off before sliding the new seal over it.

Comment

Yes you have to remove the nut at the end of the levers. When you remove the nut there is a ball and spring that is the shift detent it will fly out, locate all parts first. The valve body will have to be removed. I would suggest that you obtain a shop manual because this is not a simple repair as the borg warner model 12 that you are working on also has several tubes that will need to be removed and replaced. If you get this far a piece of 5/16 fuel line will help you replace the detent ball. Good Luck Lou Cote

Comment

DG (Detroit Gear) transmissions were only used from 1950-56.
        Only a few were used in 1956 , mainly to use up existing stock.
        Since 1956 Studebakers were 12 Volt the few DG transmissions in 1956
        had different starter gears.
        !962 Larks used Borg Warner Flightomatics

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies and insight. I am still learning Studebaker ins and outs so my mistake on the trans identification. I guess it is a flightomatic then, and I do have a shop manual so I guess I take out the valve body. Is the ball and spring detent used in the flightomatic or is that just in the DG transmissions? Thanks again,Kustommusic

Comment

Ball and spring only in flight o matic . Lou Cote

Comment

Correction, flight o matic has the detent ball and spring in the case assembly,while the DG 200 - 250 series has the detent ball and spring assembly in the valve body. I had to get out my Hudson trans manual to refresh my memory. Hudson used DG series in 1954 following fire at GM's Hydramatic plant. Lou Cote

Comment

UpDate. I have replaced the shift shaft seal seal on my Flight-o-matic Taxi (orange I.D. tag) trans. The brake line trick worked very well on the ball and spring detent (thanks Dynolou2). Now the bad news, after a test drive it started leaking again! Probably worse than before!! I guess I'll try it again (not much enthusiasm) as I think about it I could have been a little more careful on the installation of the seal. Hope that is all it is. Kustommusic

Comment

Did you replace both seals? The one in the case and the o ring that goes on the throttle valve shaft. I'm working on a 1957 model at present. The case seal is installed with the lip towards the inside, it should be flush with the case. I usually install using the backside of a 3/8 socket. Lou Cote

Comment

Working...
                  X