Off to paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to paint

Loaded up the body and delivered to the body shop for paint this week. Been a long time coming, the doors and fenders are soon to follow. Best part was as we were strapping it down someone pulled over and said "That sure looks like a '53 Studebaker Commander Starliner Hardtop". I was impressed to say the least.
    Attached Files

That's great! Don't you feel like a kid waiting for Christmas ?
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

It is neat to see the color finally on!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	AA color on.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1700449

Comment

OK Rich. are you going to keep us guessing, or tell us the COLOR before or after it comes back?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          OK Rich. are you going to keep us guessing, or tell us the COLOR before or after it comes back?
          Well it took longer to pick a color then to do the actual body work I think. The original color is Coral Red so we wanted something close but not a custom mix rather an "off the shelf" paint code. We narrowed it down to four colors and sprayed a few large panels for comparison. What we settled on is in between Coral Red and Chadron Red. I didn't want it to look like resell red but still wanted it to pop. I'll put up some after pics and let you in on the specific paint color then, want to have a little suspense anyway.

Comment

If its 'custom mix', don't forget to ask the painter for a couple of tins of extra paint for touch-ups.

Craig

Comment

If painting red, make sure to mix "all" the paint needed for the job in a single batch. Otherwise, the color between cans might be noticeable as red is really hard to match.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                If its 'custom mix', don't forget to ask the painter for a couple of tins of extra paint for touch-ups.

Craig
                Originally posted by studefan View Post
                If painting red, make sure to mix "all" the paint needed for the job in a single batch. Otherwise, the color between cans might be noticeable as red is really hard to match.
                It's a factory color so no custom mix here but definitely getting some extra for touch ups.

Everything will hopefully get paint this go round except for the front fenders. They are requiring some extensive repairs as any ones out there are way over my budget. The painter is a guy I've known for 30 years since I worked for him in high school and he has down countless restorations and custom work so I'm relying on his experience to match the fenders. His shop happens to be a few streets down from the Studebaker dealer that the car was bought from and the son of the dealer lives right behind the shop. The son is the original owner of the car. I love that I can still keep the connection going.

Comment

1974 Cadillac Dynasty Red, couldn't be happier with the outcome. Got the body on today, it went pretty easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1101151045.jpg
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1701341Click image for larger version

Name:	1101151107.jpg
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1701342Click image for larger version

Name:	1101151127.jpg
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1701343Click image for larger version

Name:	1101151429a.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1701344Click image for larger version

Name:	1101151430.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1701345Click image for larger version

Name:	1101151431.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1701346

Comment

Cool!........
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Lookin' good! Now you have a big puzzle to put back together. Are you going to make the Warwick RI meet next year? I'd like to get a picture of your red one next to my black one.
                      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Congrats! That's a great color for these cars. Good choice!
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nice color choice!! We'll get a better look when the thumbnails open though. Bob

Comment

Thanks for the kind words so far. Not sure about the RI meet, it sure will be cutting it close. We wanted a color that could be close to the original color but still be just a little more red but not resale red. The original owner stopped by the body shop just after it was painted and the first thing he said was "That's not Coral Red!". He did however really like our color choice.

Comment

Working...
                            X