Day/Night Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day/Night Mirror

Did Studebaker ever offer a Day/Night rear view mirror for the C/K Coupes? My '53 still has the original and as low as the car sits, even a minivan behind me at night blinds me. Would love to find one I could just bolt in the original place. I have already thought about glueing a mount to the windshield and finding a suitable substitute, that's plan B

thanks

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Better plan on going to plan "B"! Yes Studebaker sold Day-Nite Mirrors for certain models and years but...try to find one now!

I don't think it is how low the car is, it's not as low as a new small car, it's the BLAZING blue headlights the DOT somehow is allowing and the crazy HIGH SUV's and Pickups that SHOULD be illegal![xx(][xx(]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Better plan on going to plan "B"! Yes Studebaker sold Day-Nite Mirrors for certain models and years but...try to find one now!

I don't think it is how low the car is, it's not as low as a new small car, it's the BLAZING blue headlights the DOT somehow is allowing and the crazy HIGH SUV's and Pickups that SHOULD be illegal![xx(][xx(]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I actually have one or two used ones. Can't remember what the glass parts are like, but the metal shell would need redoing on either of them. There was an NOS one on ebay in recent weeks, although the seller didn't know exactly what it was for. I put a snipe bid of 25 bucks on it and it went for $26.50! I was mad at my frugal self for not setting the snipe bid significantly higher.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I actually have one or two used ones. Can't remember what the glass parts are like, but the metal shell would need redoing on either of them. There was an NOS one on ebay in recent weeks, although the seller didn't know exactly what it was for. I put a snipe bid of 25 bucks on it and it went for $26.50! I was mad at my frugal self for not setting the snipe bid significantly higher.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have a Day/Night mirror in my 56 Hawk. Bought it at Reedsville a few years ago for $35. It has DAY NIGHT etched into the glass with a plastic knob behind the mirror.

I am not sure if it was an option in 1956 but all the mounting hardware is identical. Very different from the 1947 Day night mirror which was mechaincal/optical, this is more along the lines of prismatic.

Comment

I have a Day/Night mirror in my 56 Hawk. Bought it at Reedsville a few years ago for $35. It has DAY NIGHT etched into the glass with a plastic knob behind the mirror.

I am not sure if it was an option in 1956 but all the mounting hardware is identical. Very different from the 1947 Day night mirror which was mechaincal/optical, this is more along the lines of prismatic.

Comment

Here's a pic from the '53 AC catalog. It calls for AC-2354 for sedans and AC-2355 for C-K:

Dwain G.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Here's a pic from the '53 AC catalog. It calls for AC-2354 for sedans and AC-2355 for C-K:

Dwain G.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Here is the mirror I have in the Hawk. (Needs cleaning)

Comment

Here is the mirror I have in the Hawk. (Needs cleaning)

Comment

That one that Dwain put up a pic of is the type I have. I'm not certain, but I think the difference between the sedan one and the C-K one is the lenght of that stalk they're mounted on. I think the C-K one has a shorter stalk than the one in that picture.

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

That one that Dwain put up a pic of is the type I have. I'm not certain, but I think the difference between the sedan one and the C-K one is the lenght of that stalk they're mounted on. I think the C-K one has a shorter stalk than the one in that picture.

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I have owned well over 100 Studes and NEVER had one with a Day/Nite mirror, I think I've only seen 1 or 2 EVER!

I guess they are like most of the really neat Studebaker accessories, the frugal buyers never wanted to spend $2.00 more than they had to to get the car on the road and the Dealers NEVER pushed them or installed them on unsold cars!

The dealer my dad worked at never sold any installed any, that I ever saw. Which has to mean very, very few if any were ever sold!

But I am surprised that these are very common "Ford" looking things, and not distinctively Studebaker Strato-line Styled like the special almost oval shape of the stock ones![V]

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have owned well over 100 Studes and NEVER had one with a Day/Nite mirror, I think I've only seen 1 or 2 EVER!

I guess they are like most of the really neat Studebaker accessories, the frugal buyers never wanted to spend $2.00 more than they had to to get the car on the road and the Dealers NEVER pushed them or installed them on unsold cars!

The dealer my dad worked at never sold any installed any, that I ever saw. Which has to mean very, very few if any were ever sold!

But I am surprised that these are very common "Ford" looking things, and not distinctively Studebaker Strato-line Styled like the special almost oval shape of the stock ones![V]

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X