Tic, Tic, Tic....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Tic, Tic, Tic....

My Champ V8 has developed a steady tic, tic, tic.... Would that be a valve out of adjustment? Am I doing damage by continuing to drive her?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Probably a valve tap...could need adjustment...could be as simple as having crud built up not letting it seat properly. Try running some Seafoam or similar product through the induction system and see if that clears it up. If it continues then maybe a valve adjustment is in order. Hopefully it's no more serious than that.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Also - but less likely than valve noise - sometimes the fuel pump can develop a tick/knock noise. Borrow an automotive stethoscope and listen around the engine compartment to see if you can isolate it. But, as Gunslinger notes, a valve adjustment issue seems most likely.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

..... and unless a rebuilt engine, with or without exhaust seats..... don't expect to eliminate it completely. Remember: its better to hear the lifters than not. These are not hydraulic lifters... Adjust by book. GL

Comment

My bet would be on the fuel pump.

Comment

Does the ticking go away as motor warms up?
            Had a ticking noise in our 1964 V8 Commander years ago, turned out to be a cracked exhaust manifold.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

All good suggestions. As far as causing damage a slight valve tick will not hurt, the old saying goes "A loose valve is a happy valve". The tick is merely caused by clearance between the rocker arm and valve, if it was too tight then you would hear no noise but the valve and seat would not last long as they would be exposed to the combustion.

Comment

Mine was once as simple as snugging the spark plugs.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sure is hard for us to diagnose noises from descriptions typed on a computer. You are there and know your vehicle best. For some time now, I have had a kind of intermittent rattle on my '51 Land Cruiser when slowly accelerating from the barn to the driveway and sometimes when pulling away from a stop. This evening, I pulled it out, and leaned under the hood trying to get a better handle on the noise. I'm still not sure if it is from something hitting underneath, like exhaust pipe interference, loose motor mount, or the generator adjusted out enough to tap against the inner fender.

The V belt for these early 232 V8's is rather narrow. Mine is adjusted waay out. As wide as these engine blocks are, there is really not a very large adjustment space for the generator between the valve cover and inner fender. Other chores and darkness limited my time to spend on it. Like your "tic" sound, it is annoying, but probably not serious enough to lose sleep over.

As for the tic tic tic sound...it wouldn't hurt to examine your fan blades. This many years out from their production, stress cracks can be developing from years of flexing at the rivets where these are put together. During operation, flexing from cracks can produce the exact tic tic sound you are describing. We should probably all be checking these. Better to find them before the blade grenades, takes out a radiator, or slices through a hood.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have been fooled more than once by a wire not fastened correctly on the plug. Sounded for all the world like a metal tic.
                    sigpic
                    Lanny & Barb Bertram
                    '63 Lark Custom R2 4spd
                    Indy Chapter SDC since 2000
                    Weaverville, NC

Comment

Tic tic could be many things as others have stated. One thing I will ask is are you using a zinc additive in your oil such as ZDDP? I recently experienced a cam failure, a flattened cam lobe, in a brand X with solid lifters and numerous folks pointed out that the lack of zinc or other anti-skuff solution in our modern oil can be a contributor. It was definitely going tic tic tic when that occurred.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

as long as it's not tic tic boom, I wouldn't worry about it...

Comment

This sounds nuts, but I've even heard an engine with an exhaust leak that sounded like a metallic tic.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                            This sounds nuts, but I've even heard an engine with an exhaust leak that sounded like a metallic tic.
                            Not nuts, as I've heard it too. Depends on where the leak is -- sometimes you're only hearing one cylinder firing.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                            X