Neutral safety switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral safety switch

I have a 62 Hawk powered by a crate 350 and a TH700R transmission. I can start the car in any gear and was told when I bought it that it had no safety switch.
    Now for my question: Is the safety switch in my situation, a Studebaker or Chevy part??? Where is this switch located?? Thanks for your help.

Hawkman62

If this car had a Studebaker Automatic Trans and it still has the stock Studebaker steering column, the neutral switch combo back-up light switch is on the column under the dash.

It was designed for the Studebaker shift pattern, so if you connect it, the back-up lights will be on in Drive or 2nd. if you are using the column shift, but the neutral switch will allow starting in the old Park or Neutral which is now Park and Reverse! And of course it's a Studebaker part because it is not on the trans. The best bet is to put a GM one on the Trans.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Probably difficult if not impossible to answer without inspecting the car.

The neutral safety switch allows the car to be started only in Park or Neutral. The switch needs to be located somewhere on the shift linkage so that it "sees" the various shift detents.

It will depend upon what steering column you have in your car and if the trans is floor shifted or column shifted.

Even if stock column with the stock shift linkage hooked up to the 700R, the stock Stude neutral safety switch probably wouldn't work because the dentents would be in the wrong spot. If you have a GM column from a 700R equipped car, you may be able to find a GM OE switch that would work.

The probable reason you don't have one, is because a switch and mount would need to be fabricated for your unique set up. No off the shelf part is likely to work. Switches and brackets are available from the various hot rod parts suppliers, but there will still be some engineering and fabrication involved to make it work on your set up.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Rudy,
        Since your car has had an engine/trans swap done, the OEM neutral safety switch needs to be either adapted, AIP (abandoned in place),or a new switch added.
        In your case, adding one is easy.
        Just put in a Lokar n/s switch
        (Lokar kit p/n# BL1400U)
        (Summit p/n# LOK-BL1400U $28.95)

Then have that wired into the stock Stude n/s switch wires, replacing the stock switch.
        Summit, Jeg's, and most any good street rod shop sells this item.
        Betcha a donut Speedway Motors over in Lincoln has it too
        Lets see some pic's of your GT Hawk!
        Hope the info helps.

Jeff[8D]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks all for your help. I found the safety switch on the steering column and I'm going to use a GM switch on the transmission. This seems to be the easiest way.

Jeff I only have 1 photo of the Hawk in photobucket and here it is..[img][http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...angle.jpg/img]

I have entered this car in 4 local shows in 2007 and gathered up 6 trophies. Interior is all custom black/red and truck is same.

Thanks again, Rudy

Comment

Hey guys,

I knew I had some additional pictures of the hawk in photobucket, but I thought only 1 would show up. To my surprise they all showed up.

Best Regards, Rudy

Comment

Working...
            X