No announcement yet.

Why won't rear door trim fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Why won't rear door trim fit?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150915_161706.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1748613Click image for larger version

Name:	20150915_161421.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1748614I am doing a restoration on a 1965 sliding roof Wagonaire (P) body. I ordered and received from SASCO upper rubber door molding 136350 & 351. But it doesn't fit. If you can tell in the pictures, front corner and front edge going down the door from top to bottom seem to fit fine. The problem lies in the rest of the rubber molding. First there is a twist in the extrusion as its going across the top of the door, this is not a twist that can be un-twisted but built into the design?? Second problem is no square corner built into the molding to fit the rear upper square corner of the door? Thirdly it is also to short to then go around the window frame and onto the door (picture2)

I have tried every instillation direction, checked part for miss boxed to no solution. One interesting fact is in the factory parts manual 136350 & 351 fit a (Y) body, where a (P) body calls for molding 136358 & 359. SASCO says no stock and only use 136350 and nobody has had a problem.

Any ideas or guidance would be appreciated, Scott Hall

My Wagonaire is long gone, and I can't explain that "twist", but any chance this is a left side seal, which would let that the curved end nearest the camera shield those 2 yellow painted hex heads and then divert water around the rotary latch & towards the outside door skin?
    I do have a '64 Cruiser at home and can look at it tonite.

Comment

Working from memory (dangerous)- The '64-'66 wagons (P body) are similar in the upper doors to 1963 wagons and sedans, but not 1964-1966 sedans. The 1964-1966 sedans went to the lower roof/shorter doors/windows and the wagon didn't.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yup, forgot about the roof line changes Gary W mentions.
        Also looked at my Cruiser and it's rear window surround has a different contour than your wagon.
        Nonetheless, my weather seal at the rear edge of the rear door, does curve out to follow the curve of the door skin.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have tried them on both sides, but the molding has an obvious flat side and the long side needs to go down the side its on. Your right that the curved end looks to fit by the latch but the length never seems to get there??

Comment

Gary, If the sedans are indeed different then the wagons, I then don't have the right molding? Only problem, nobody else seems to

Comment

So Does anyone have a 64-65 wagon that can look or take some photos of how theirs fits?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Hall View Post
                So Does anyone have a 64-65 wagon that can look or take some photos of how theirs fits?
                I will take a pic of mine later this afternoon. I don't recall the rear weatherstrip looking like that.

Comment

rbigal, That would be great. If you Could take pics of all 3 angles front of door, top, and rear of door that would be awesome.

Thanks

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0231.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1700401Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0232.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1700402

This is nothing more than generic weatherstrip cut off of a roll I bought from Chuck Colins. Not sure if this factory correct or if it's replacement for obsolete part number. All I know is that Chuck said this is the way it goes. Doesn't stude rich and mike have a wagonaire you can look at, maybe they have the weatherstrip in stock as well. I see you live in the same town as they do .
                    Last edited by rbigcal; 09-18-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I didn't get a pic of the bottom. It curves around bottom of door about 6 inches or so at the front. And goes near the inside edge of the door, I think it seals against door jamb, I remember I had to take it loose and move it out, I originally had it along outside edge of the door. That part was a little confusing, because it seals differently than the front door.

Comment

Thank you for the images, It looks like the way to go is Generic and make one

Comment

Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
                          I didn't get a pic of the bottom. It curves around bottom of door about 6 inches or so at the front. And goes near the inside edge of the door, I think it seals against door jamb, I remember I had to take it loose and move it out, I originally had it along outside edge of the door. That part was a little confusing, because it seals differently than the front door.
                          rbigcal, would it be possible to take a picture of the seal that goes down the front edge of the rear door. I am not sure where that lays. Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X