transmission shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission shifting

I have a DG 250M transmission in my 1955 Presiden. It starts in low gear, but shifts to second after five feet, and it shifts to drive
    about 20 mph. Is this normal? Should I stick my foot in a little
    harder?

1955 Prez Starlight Hardtop
    James K. Clark
    Hix in the Stix
    Eastern Tenn.
    Don't take yourself too seriously.

James K. Clark

Well James, that "heavy foot" method definetely will work. That will delay the shifts. The problem most likely is the throttle pressure rod from the transmission to the carb linkage bellcrank needs to be adjusted. (the adjustment is near the Trans. case on drivers' side) However the biggest cause for it needing to be adjusted is sagging rear engine mounts, I would check and or replace those first. Because if you do not, you will need to do the adjustment all over again after replacement. The Studebaker Shop Manual outlines how to do it, but many people just increase the rod movement and test drive the car to find out if the shifts are too harsh or too soon like yours and re-adjust to their liking. Do not worry too much about the 1st to 2nd shift, as Studebaker Automatics shift pretty early. It would not make much difference, but I would also check the fluid through the excess cover in ther trans. tunnel, engine warm, idling and in DRIVE with wheels blocked and E brake set.
    Hope this helps, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Studebayker

I have a DG 250M transmission in my 1955 Presiden. It starts in low gear, but shifts to second after five feet, and it shifts to drive
    about 20 mph. Is this normal? Should I stick my foot in a little
    harder?
    1955 Prez Starlight Hardtop
    James K. Clark
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My 55 Pres State sedan has a recently rebuilt DG250 (2000), with new trans mounts (2003). I'm presuming the linkage is set ok. It starts in 1st and shifts to 2nd after 5-6 mph, under normal pedal. After around 20-25, it makes an oddly, authoratative, "clump" sound and the direct drive engages.
      It impresses a lot of folks, from a traffic light. If you hold the throttle down half way, it will out do all but the strongest, modern, cars, for the first 100 feet...
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I thought my DG200 shifted early also. My transmission expert said I drive like an old man and suggested I put my foot in it.
        Well, with my foot to the floor, it shifts from second to third at 72mph. He said he's happy with that.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 Commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment