55 President What's it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 President What's it worth?

It kind of breaks my heart to need to do this but the President has to go. Three years ago I started my own business that focuses on classic Toyota's. Since then I haven't turned a profit and all my money goes into developing Toyota parts.
    I have finally accepted that it would be a very long time before I might be able to put the time and energy into this car that it deserves. In the mean time I keep getting more Toyota's for R&D and I'm out of room.

I have done a lot of research and have never been able to get a real good feel for the value of this car in it's condition. Cherry ones seem to go for well over $15k but cars in okay position are much harder to pinpoint. One seller might ask $8k and another might ask $1500 for cars that seem to be in similar condition.
    Looking at the couple auctions I have seen on ebay and a couple other for sale ads I am thinking for mine something like $4k maybe to the right buyer? Quite possibly a lot less if I was impatient?
    What do you guys think?
    I don't want to rip anyone off or ask a ridiculous amount and never sell it but I'd also hate to find out I sold an $8k car for $2k.

Summer Scott is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Summer Scott and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.

Runs and drives but needs some work. 3 speed trans feels and shifts great but I never got the overdrive to shift.
    Partially converted to 12v. Haven't converted bulbs or other electronics but alt work and it runs.
    1 big dent below front windshield, Small dent on front fender.
    3 out of 4 quarter panels heavily rusted. Common problem so replacement panels are available.
    Motor is healthy. Compression test was good 3 years and only a few miles ago.
    Carb was rebuilt 3 years ago then it sat but fired right up first try and sounds great. I think the carb is still fine.
    Comes with original airbox, generator and a bunch of spare parts. Generator would need to be rebuilt.
    Most of the interior is okay but not great. Front carpet needs to be replaced.
    While trying to get it running originally the fuel lines were blocked so I pressuriszed the fuel lines and blew the in tank line and filter off so it runs out of gas around a half tank.
    Both drivers and passengers door windows are broken. The rest are in good shape.
    Some of the fiber sheathed wiring under the dash is fraying and needs to be replaced.

The three speed overdrive helps the value, and will create more interest in your President than if it had the 'ProbleMatic'.....but the rust on the exterior looks a bit ominous....How's the front floors and trunk floor?...If they are rotted then unfortunately the car would bring only about 2K.....If the structure is solid, add another 2K to that figure.

Comment

Sorry if I missed it but what is the body style?

Comment

Click on the facebook link. It is a coupe.
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

The floors, under body and frame all look quite solid. I am surprised at how badly those body parts are rusted considering how good everything else looks but I know that it was really common for these areas to rust.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150916_175508.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1700364
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150916_175532.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1700365

Since the passengers rear quarter panel is by far the worst rust spot I took these pics just inboard of that damage. The rest of the underside of the car looks at least this good.

Comment

Hey, that President coupe looks really nice underneath....a BIG plus!....I'd clean the car up...put it together and get it running as best you can...and then put it up for sale on e-bay.

Then you'll have a WORLDWIDE market place!...Good luck!

Comment

Not everyone has a Facebook account

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
              Click on the facebook link. It is a coupe.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Hey, that President coupe looks really nice underneath....a BIG plus!....I'd clean the car up...put it together and get it running as best you can...and then put it up for sale on e-bay.

Then you'll have a WORLDWIDE market place!...Good luck!
                I was thinking about trying ebay. The $125 fee if it goes above $2000 is a little steep but maybe it would make me that much more than I would make otherwise.

Thanks for the input.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by flyinlow View Post
                Not everyone has a Facebook account
                I really thought anyone would be able to view the gallery. Stupid FB.

Comment

Well here ya go Mr. Minamoto. You have a beautiful, if somewhat careworn '55 (Vice) President. Your price is pretty much in the range you thought. Rust is indeed the most serious drawback, right behind it though is the incomplete conversion. It would have been better to keep it six volt than to have it this way. Thankfully, for your buyer, '55 had the option of a twelve-volt system and the wiring harness is available for a reasonable cost. Wish I had the cash as this is one of the few 55's I like. The colour is definitely right up there on top for me too!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

You know one real positive thing about this Stude?.....Those super nice STAINLESS STEEL belt mouldings. (as opposed to the crummy pot metal stuff!!)

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                      [SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms]Well here ya go Mr. Minamoto. You have a beautiful, if somewhat careworn '55 (Vice) President. Your price is pretty much in the range you thought. Rust is indeed the most serious drawback, right behind it though is the incomplete conversion. It would have been better to keep it six volt than to have it this way. Thankfully, for your buyer, '55 had the option of a twelve-volt system and the wiring harness is available for a reasonable cost. Wish I had the cash as this is one of the few 55's I like. The colour is definitely right up there on top for me too!
                      Thanks.
                      The good news is that with some new parts it would really take maybe an hour to switch it back to 6v and all original. Or at least as original as I found it.
                      The generator needs to be rebuilt. The regulator is toast. I really didn't change much else though.

Comment

Very true! This is why I drive a Studebaker! Parts are almost as easy to come by as your Toyotas! Speaking of which, I've been driving a '96 T100 the last few years and really like it! It's a great truck till it has troubles. Then I open the hood and it says 'Good Morning' in Japanese, and I'm lost. the truck is going on three hundred-fifty thousand miles and it's third engine. The new owner couldn't be happier if he was a pig in mud!

As to the wiring on your '55, well... if the dash wiring is shedding it's insulation, then the rayon insulation is likely going bad all 'round. A common problem with this vintage. Once again, the fix is very easy, if not quick. Personally, I'd replace everything in the car and call it good.Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1700371 A regulator and rebuilding the genny are almost a given on any original car. So they shouldn't be an issue. However, there is a bit of re-wiring that is necessary to run an alternator on a car that has been set up for a genny. I have to figure that out someday. But as it is, I'm satisfied with a genny on my cars, so no problems as of yet.

Our friend in Massachusetts has it right that your stainless trim is a plus! It looks beautiful even where it shows up in the closeups!

As to the fees on the 'bay, I couldn't agree more. Still, there is a lot of return for those fees. Ebay will go to bat for you when things go sour on a sale. They have helped me with both buyers and sellers who weren't as honest as they could be. Also, one has a world-wide marketplace. For me, that makes it worth the fees.

Best of luck with this old beauty!
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

From post #9
                          "Thankfully, for your buyer, '55 had the option of a twelve-volt system and the wiring harness is available for a reasonable cost."

Never heard that before, anyone else?

Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                            From post #9
                            "Thankfully, for your buyer, '55 had the option of a twelve-volt system and the wiring harness is available for a reasonable cost."

Never heard that before, anyone else?

Not I. That's a new one on me.
                            The only optional electrical system I've heard about is on the 1962 Chevy, I heard you could buy the alternator as an option.

Comment

Summer,
                              I like your 55, but I have several of my own and really need to move one myself. What are the floors and trunk floor like?

Don't misunderstand I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but what is a classic Toyota? Sorry but some of the old guys on the forum would have a hard time putting classic and Toyota together in the same sentence. I note from your web page the MR2, is there anything else that is collected? There used to be a club out of California that focused on Toyotas but the last time I looked it seems to have been disbanded. The reason I'm asking, I have a 1974 Corolla that I rung up 275K miles on before the valve seats went away and I couldn't hold a valve adjustment any more. It's been sitting outside for twenty years and I would virtually give it away but I've been unable to find anyone interested, other then a scrapper.

Comment

Working...
                              X