PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Skyhawk on Craigs List

BobPalma
09-13-2015, 06:58 PM
:) I just talked to this guy:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5189746881.html

It's in Springfield OH. He bought it out of an estate a couple years ago and hasn't done anything with it. He has never heard it run but says the engine is free; turns over. :!: Claims to have a fresh Ohio title in his name. :!!:

Phone Number (937) 926-3464.

Bottom line is $3,000. :cool: BP

PackardV8
09-13-2015, 09:18 PM
The Sky Hawk with overdrive is in my top five faves. Two owners and 72,000 miles should be a creampuff, but thass a UGLY baby! It's worth $3,000 all day long, as long as the buyer has another $23,000 for the restoration.

jack vines

SN-60
09-13-2015, 09:25 PM
My first 'on the road' Studebaker was a 1956 Sky Hawk....it was a good looking, nice running car which never let me down. :!:

Hopefully, someone with the time, place, and the $$$$$ will save this very original car, and we'll see her on the show field in a few years! :)

RadioRoy
09-13-2015, 09:28 PM
56 Sky Hawk is my favorite Hawk.

candbstudebakers
09-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Wrong hood in case any one has not noticed. one year only.

PackardV8
09-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Wrong hood in case any one has not noticed. one year only.

For true, but most '56s have the wrong hood, because the criminally engineered latch caused the original hood to fly open at speed and wrap back over the roof. Ask me how I know.

jack vines

t walgamuth
09-14-2015, 05:56 AM
criminally engineered latch

I like that turn of phrase Jack.;)

sals54
09-14-2015, 02:35 PM
The Sky Hawk with overdrive is in my top five faves. Two owners and 72,000 miles should be a creampuff, but thass a UGLY baby! It's worth $3,000 all day long, as long as the buyer has another $23,000 for the restoration.

jack vines

But who says it has to be restored? That would make a bad a$$ hot rod. Much cheaper to build than a restoration. And I don't mean high dollar trailer queen, either. A Low n Loud Sky Hawk would be a pretty kool rod at any car show.

jbwhttail
09-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Bob;

A 1956 Skyhawk was found this past week here in the Indy area(sadly not by me) it is the same color as my 56J and had been in storage since 1970! Nacy showed me pictures of it from the Studebaker Addicts Facebook page. I hope to see it in person soon.....

PackardV8
09-14-2015, 08:13 PM
But who says it has to be restored? That would make a bad a$$ hot rod. Much cheaper to build than a restoration. And I don't mean high dollar trailer queen, either. A Low n Loud Sky Hawk would be a pretty kool rod at any car show.

Sal, agree restoration is by no means the only option, but having built several, it would take $20,000 to put that Sky Hawk into bad a$$ hot rod condition. It needs everything. I love Sky Hawks as much as anyone, but if that car only had two owners and 76,000 miles, it was rode hard and put away wet.

jack vines

sals54
09-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Yeah, Jack. On one point I'd have to agree, but I like em sweaty. I'd do the brakes, and fix the 289 so its not necessarily fast, but noisy, and call it done. Cut springs and lowering blocks would finish it off for my taste. Let the Ford n Chevy guys spend all the money. Meanwhile I'll get all the looks.

jnfweber
09-14-2015, 09:02 PM
For true, but most '56s have the wrong hood, because the criminally engineered latch caused the original hood to fly open at speed and wrap back over the roof. Ask me how I know.

jack vines

I guess I've been lucky with my Sky Hawk, but back in 1969 I replaced the side grills and hood latch assembly with ones from a 1958 Hawk, where the hood unlatches from under the bumper, not from the left side grill opening. I'm surprised that the very heavy center grill would allow the hood to fly back over the windshield. I like the red/white exterior/interior of the Craig's list Sky Hawk, and it would be a very nice, but very expensive restoration. All Sky Hawks had the "Sweepstakes" 289.

SN-60
09-14-2015, 09:57 PM
I guess I've been lucky with my Sky Hawk, but back in 1969 I replaced the side grills and hood latch assembly with ones from a 1958 Hawk, where the hood unlatches from under the bumper, not from the left side grill opening. I'm surprised that the very heavy center grill would allow the hood to fly back over the windshield. I like the red/white exterior/interior of the Craig's list Sky Hawk, and it would be a very nice, but very expensive restoration. All Sky Hawks had the "Sweepstakes" 289.

It happened to me years ago in a '56 Golden.....I remember it like it was yesterday!....I was doing about 45mph....the hood unlatched itself and the safety didn't function properly.....the hood starts to come up slowly at first as air builds up underneath it......then....'WHAM'...it flies up quick like and wraps itself in half with the grille ending up on the roof.....JEEPERS!....I don't think I'll sleep tonight!!!! :eek:

tim333
09-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Yikes!!! I can just smell the mouse pee in the interior. That's a $300 car at best.