Avanti with a GT dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti with a GT dash

There was an Avanti at a car show yesterday that was described as a 1964. It had a couple of interesting features (aside from the Buick engine.) There was a slotted panel in the asymmetrical raised portion of the valence in front of the windshield that looked like it was factory correct. Also, the dash had been replaced by what looks like a GT dash.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	64 Avanti 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1748557Click image for larger version

Name:	64 Avanti 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1748558

Wow, that has to be very close to the TOP of my Craziest Mods ever list!

Does it look OK, sure, does it have any advantage over the correct one... NO.
    Just that you lose the ability to have a Vacuum Gauge in the Dash, that COULD be what that is in the Console.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Generally I'm not a modified car guy but this was well done, looks good. I almost want one like it in my Avanti.

Ken

Comment

With replacements over a thousand dollars, the GT dash make sense, and looks great. Later Avantis had the grille vent in the raised area in front of the windshield.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

With Avanti dash replacements becoming harder to find, maybe this is a viable alternative till a good one comes along. It does look like it belongs.
          sals54

Comment

Was the Buick a turbo V6 or an earlier V8?
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I think I like this conversion!
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I like it. IMHO that's the way Studebaker Corp shoulda done it in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
                  There was a slotted panel in the asymmetrical raised portion of the valence in front of the windshield that looked like it was factory correct.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]47334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47335[/ATTACH]
                  That's correct for a '64 and later car.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                    Was the Buick a turbo V6 or an earlier V8?
                    The owner said the engine was a 350. When I asked if it was a Chevy, he said it was a Buick. There was NO space above the carburetor for an air cleaner.

Comment

Some folks just go beyond 'crafty'.......This guy did something no one else (probably) has ever done.....AND IT LOOKS TERRIFIC!!!

Comment

This is true,now what do You say Ed to finding an Avanti that some one has slipped a Speedster dash into
                        Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        Some folks just go beyond 'crafty'.......This guy did something no one else (probably) has ever done.....AND IT LOOKS TERRIFIC!!!
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                          this is true,now what do you say ed to finding an avanti that some one has slipped a speedster dash into
                          NOW YOUR TALKING MY LANGUAGE JOE!!!!!!

Comment

I would love to know what/if any mods were made to this dash.were the ends lengthened/shortened,was it easy to brace it to the cowl/fire wall - and what about steering post clearance?,yes I've decided I positively like this custom " Havanti Dash "
                            Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
                            There was an Avanti at a car show yesterday that was described as a 1964. It had a couple of interesting features (aside from the Buick engine.) There was a slotted panel in the asymmetrical raised portion of the valence in front of the windshield that looked like it was factory correct. Also, the dash had been replaced by what looks like a GT dash.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]47334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47335[/ATTACH]
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                              I would love to know what/if any mods were made to this dash.were the ends lengthened/shortened,was it easy to brace it to the cowl/fire wall - and what about steering post clearance?,yes I've decided I positively like this custom " Havanti Dash "
                              I had similar questions....especially about the width of the dashes, since the bodies of the two cars seem so different.....(Maybe they're NOT that different )

Comment

Working...
                              X