Cruiser foray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruiser foray

I'm about to leave this desk and drive 140 miles to look at a 63 Cruiser. From what I've been told about it, it's in decent driver shape - except that it hasn't - been driven, that is. But it's 289 runs and it has new tires and wants only a drippy freeze plug replaced to be roadworthy. Photos at 5PM:PST Seller's asking $400, we'll see.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Looking forward to the pics Bob !
    Now is that 5 eastern or Pacific ?

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "
    1950 2R5
    1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Looking forward to the pics Bob !
      Now is that 5 eastern or Pacific ?

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
      1950 2R5
      1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

...and why would it NOT be worth $400??? BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

...and why would it NOT be worth $400??? BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wish I could find a deal like that. I am needing rust free doors for my 1963 Wagonaire (I know I can but them new but shipping is too darn much for now). Not too many rust free cars here in the Pacific Northwest. $400 for a running 289 ain't too bad!

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

Wish I could find a deal like that. I am needing rust free doors for my 1963 Wagonaire (I know I can but them new but shipping is too darn much for now). Not too many rust free cars here in the Pacific Northwest. $400 for a running 289 ain't too bad!

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

I'll post photos of the car tomorrow. I stayed too long - talking with the seller about this, that and the other. The car's worth $400 or more, there's no doubt of that. But with my plate brimming at the moment and the fact that I don't have a trailer (which means I'd have to PAY to have it brought to me) I passed on it.
                Nice fella, the owner. I can put anyone in touch with him if you want. Straightforward 63 Cruiser - 289 Auto. No PS, PB or radio. Solid underneath - I couldn't lift up the padding under the carpet, but it's obvious it's rusty ON TOP of the floor pans. Looking from the underside, I couldn't see where it was rusted thru.
                Front panel (Sheet metal) has been slightly bumped and keeps the hood from closing. Could be fixed (to where hood would close) with one good whack of a hammer. Other'n that, there's significant bubbling along the back edge of the right front fender - right along where the inner seam is. I didn't see any evidence of rot beyond that. Rt rear BU lens is broke and the TL lenses didn't have the "spiders" on them. Oh, and the stainless trim along the bottom edge of the deck lid is dented.
                Trunk floor is crusty, but without poking and prodding, I didn't see any holes.

Here's the pix of the car. BTW, my better camera died on me this week - I had to fall back on the old, low resolution Minolta.

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...4/DSC00056.JPG [/img]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

Do gut feelings carry any weight? If so, my gut tells me that with a freeze plug, battery, and hydraulic freshening of the brakes (it's been sitting several years now)this thing would drive. Please tho - don't take that as some sort of "warranty" if you decide you're interested in the car. As I said before, if you're interested, I'll put you in touch with Stan. Oh - the car's in Oakdale, CA. That's a bit east of Modesto.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll post photos of the car tomorrow. I stayed too long - talking with the seller about this, that and the other. The car's worth $400 or more, there's no doubt of that. But with my plate brimming at the moment and the fact that I don't have a trailer (which means I'd have to PAY to have it brought to me) I passed on it.
                  Nice fella, the owner. I can put anyone in touch with him if you want. Straightforward 63 Cruiser - 289 Auto. No PS, PB or radio. Solid underneath - I couldn't lift up the padding under the carpet, but it's obvious it's rusty ON TOP of the floor pans. Looking from the underside, I couldn't see where it was rusted thru.
                  Front panel (Sheet metal) has been slightly bumped and keeps the hood from closing. Could be fixed (to where hood would close) with one good whack of a hammer. Other'n that, there's significant bubbling along the back edge of the right front fender - right along where the inner seam is. I didn't see any evidence of rot beyond that. Rt rear BU lens is broke and the TL lenses didn't have the "spiders" on them. Oh, and the stainless trim along the bottom edge of the deck lid is dented.
                  Trunk floor is crusty, but without poking and prodding, I didn't see any holes.

Here's the pix of the car. BTW, my better camera died on me this week - I had to fall back on the old, low resolution Minolta.

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...4/DSC00056.JPG [/img]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

Do gut feelings carry any weight? If so, my gut tells me that with a freeze plug, battery, and hydraulic freshening of the brakes (it's been sitting several years now)this thing would drive. Please tho - don't take that as some sort of "warranty" if you decide you're interested in the car. As I said before, if you're interested, I'll put you in touch with Stan. Oh - the car's in Oakdale, CA. That's a bit east of Modesto.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Don't think I've ever seen a "baby blue" air cleaner before - could that be stock[?] or maybe I don't get out enough.[:I]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar
                    3E-6/7-122
                    </h5>

Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Don't think I've ever seen a "baby blue" air cleaner before - could that be stock[?] or maybe I don't get out enough.[:I]

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar
                      3E-6/7-122
                      </h5>

Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

Actually, it's primer gray and done only as a stop-rust manuver. What was even more curious about it is the 3 cleanly cut holes on the side of it. I didn't ask, but I'm fairly sure this wasn't something Stan did. He said that a couple of young folks were the previous owners. I'd BET that this car came with a 2bbl originally and someone was worried about it not getting enough air thru the original cleaner snout when the carb change came about - I didn't look to see how they'd made that AC fit the 4bbl the car now sports.[}]
                        The car wears what must be it's original Ermine White coloration. Naturally, the paint's tired on it. It also has some poorly executed red pin striping applied to it, but it's hard to tell with the low-res camera.[B)]
                        Heck, a running (and Stan said there wasn't a hint of smoke or odd noise) 289 4bbl and tranny are WELL worth the $400 he wants. Maybe I should see if he'd take that much for the drivetrain and do what he wants with the rest of the car![:0][}][:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Actually, it's primer gray and done only as a stop-rust manuver. What was even more curious about it is the 3 cleanly cut holes on the side of it. I didn't ask, but I'm fairly sure this wasn't something Stan did. He said that a couple of young folks were the previous owners. I'd BET that this car came with a 2bbl originally and someone was worried about it not getting enough air thru the original cleaner snout when the carb change came about - I didn't look to see how they'd made that AC fit the 4bbl the car now sports.[}]
                          The car wears what must be it's original Ermine White coloration. Naturally, the paint's tired on it. It also has some poorly executed red pin striping applied to it, but it's hard to tell with the low-res camera.[B)]
                          Heck, a running (and Stan said there wasn't a hint of smoke or odd noise) 289 4bbl and tranny are WELL worth the $400 he wants. Maybe I should see if he'd take that much for the drivetrain and do what he wants with the rest of the car![:0][}][:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Geez, Biggs... too bad you didn't have a tow dolly! You could have taken it with you, and if you didn't want the car, no problem... if you wanted it, you could have made a deal, loaded it in less than 5 minutes, and had her home already!

Heck of a deal; someone could have a good car for cheap! Hope someone here gets it and saves it[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Geez, Biggs... too bad you didn't have a tow dolly! You could have taken it with you, and if you didn't want the car, no problem... if you wanted it, you could have made a deal, loaded it in less than 5 minutes, and had her home already!

Heck of a deal; someone could have a good car for cheap! Hope someone here gets it and saves it[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X