Backing Plate Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Backing Plate Location

I am having trouble fitting the brake drums for the rear brakes on my 1949 2R5, so I question whether I have the backing plates in the right location. The parts manual shows relative shim, spacer, and grease seal sequence on the rear axle page and on again on the wheel and carrier page with the hub. The backing plate is shown on the brake page. I did not find a page showing them all together. The repair manual shows a picture. That and the words in the assembly sequence lead me to believe the shims belong inboard of the backing plate. I have the spacer there also, but the picture, and my trouble, make me question whether the spacer should be outboard of the backing plate, between it and the grease seal housing.

Does anyone have advice on the correct location of that spacer for me?

Thanks.

In order to affect the Axle end play, the Shims only HAVE to be between the Axle Flange and the backing plate. You should check your Axle end play to be sure those are the correct shim pack for your Axle.

Nothing else needs to be in that Location.

Then on the outside of the backing Plate you should have;

Thin Gasket
    Spacer Plate
    Thin Gasket
    Caged Outer Axle Seal
    split Lock Washer
    3/8" Nut

I do not use 4 per Car of the Gaskets being supplied currently with the Outer Axle Seal because the factory used thinner ones. Sometimes I make 2 from Paper Gasket Material and use 2 Thick ones, one of each per wheel, other times I make all 4 from Gasket Paper.
    This is really is not critical, but it will determine where on the Axle the Felts run.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I now have the backing plates and hubs removed again, but I am not sure that I fully understand the sequence of part locations. The center hole of the shims fit around the bearing race which makes sense. The part that I believe is the spacer plate has a surface ground finish on one side and a hole smaller than the hole in the shims which seats on the bearing race which also makes sense. It is 0.140 inches thick for both sides. If I place the backing plate onto the shims, then I will be using a bent formed plate to seat the bearing race. It seems that the surface ground part should be used to seat onto the bearing race, not the backing plate which does not have a machined flat surface. However, my backing plates are too far outboard which is causing the brake shoes to interfere with the outer wall of the brake shoes. That 0.140 inch thickness would be perfect to fix that, so I will move that spacer from inboard the backing plate to the location you show and see what I get.

I have three 0.035 inch shims total, one on the driver's side and two on the passenger side. This gives me 0.0045 inch end play measured at each shaft. I have two extra 0.005 inch shims that I am not using.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I got it all put back together last night. Moving the spacer plate to the other side of the backing plate was just what I needed in order to have the brake drums fit. Thanks again for your help. My end play at the shafts changed, so it is now 0.010 inches. I do not have shims that will fix that, so I will have to get some then fix that later. If it starts, then I will be able to drive it around the neighborhood today.

Comment

Working...
        X