Fuel delivery 63 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel delivery 63 Lark

The car had an auxiliary tank under the hood that the seller used to move it around. The exposed end of the fuel line on the crossmember had the remains of a mud wasp egg case in it. I got that out and put compressed air to it and it seemed to be clear. I put maybe 3 gallons of gas it the tank and primed the carb. It ran til that ran out but the pump wouldn't prime. Should I remove the feed hose from the pump and try to fill the feed line with gas?The pump worked with the auxiliary tank but that was right next to and above the pump so may have made pumping easier. I installed a new clear filter which is empty.

A fuel pump should not require priming, the fuel in the tank will migrate to the fuel pump and the coming and going valves should deliver it to the carb. A good battery should be able to pump the fuel, however a small bit of gas in the carb helps to speed up the process. It is very likely the fuel pump is serviceable but there may be a pin hole or two in the fuel line that the pump can not over come. Check the fuel line with a small amount of air pressure (typically blowing in the line) and spray some soapy water over the clasp areas and look for bubbles.

Comment

About 1980 I bought a 1952 Champion, and the engine runs like new, but the fuel line is plugged solid. I tried blowing back with compressed air and nothing happened, so I made an adaptor to connect my grease gun to the line, and I still could get anything through the line.

Comment

I always recommend replacing all those old rusty lines and hoses and rebuilding brakes as well.
        It's better than the alternatives... (Crash Boom Bang)

I've also found that metal brake line makes a pretty good hard fuel line if carefully bent.

Comment

Working...
        X