58 Dual Headlight Cars--interesting tidbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Dual Headlight Cars--interesting tidbit

I am going thru more parts and this morning was looking at 3 58 "headlight spacers" (my term). This goes between the fender and headlight rim. I found they are the same for single and dual headlight cars, a fact I never thought about previously. These are used and two did not have part numbers. The one that had a part number is 1330120. These are mounted to the fender with screws it appears. I always thought the other pair was the same but when I got looking at them, I see they are different internally the way they mount from 1330120. This pair has part numbers on them of 1323129 in the castings and they mounted by using a small clip in the center the same as the headlight rims used on the C/K cars. I assume the screws from the headlight bucket or rim helps hold them on. I cannot beleive the engineers expected that little clip to hold that heavy part on.

When mounted on the car these all look the same.

I just found it interesting that Studebaker, which used such a cheap-axx approach to dressing up the 58 cars, apparently had to revamp the spacers as they most likely had problems with 1323129 and went to 1330120 for customer satisfaction. This additional tooling cost had to cut into their supposed savings which such a cheap-axx dress up of the 57.

I find little facts like this interesting.

As a side, 1323129 is not listed in the parts book but 1330120 is. I expect if I go thru some of my old price guides, I will find on that says 1323129 is replaced with 1330120.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

It is too bad Studebaker got caught up in the dual head light theme. I thought the previous year looked nice.

Comment

Working...
    X