Interesting site I never saw before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting site I never saw before

Bob Coolidge has done a wonderful job on this site through the years....Very historical in nature.

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

For some reason I can't view his site right now but I have looked at it before. It is interesting but the stock car info is all southern based. If you really want to know about the history of Studebaker stock car racing, you need to research the Chicago area. Get the book "Blue Island's Raceway Park" by Stan Kalwasinski and Samuel Beck. It is in the Arcadia Publishing "Images of America" series. In it you will find pictures of many Studebaker short track stock cars. One picture is of a five car trophy dash of which three are Studebakers. Or, google driver Bill Van Allen. He won many races with his Studebakers. There were a lot more Studebakers successfully racing the Chicago area short track than you would imagine.

Comment

Studebaker Racing Web Site

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
        For some reason I can't view his site right now but I have looked at it before. It is interesting but the stock car info is all southern based. If you really want to know about the history of Studebaker stock car racing, you need to research the Chicago area. Get the book "Blue Island's Raceway Park" by Stan Kalwasinski and Samuel Beck. It is in the Arcadia Publishing "Images of America" series. In it you will find pictures of many Studebaker short track stock cars. One picture is of a five car trophy dash of which three are Studebakers. Or, google driver Bill Van Allen. He won many races with his Studebakers. There were a lot more Studebakers successfully racing the Chicago area short track than you would imagine.
        I created the Studebaker Racing web site following conducting research for the late Dick Rathmann's NASCAR stock car racing career. Dick and I became friends while I was employed in the Melbourne, Florida area in the late 1990's. Dick passed away during those years. While researching NASCAR records for Dick's racing results, I noticed frequent Studebaker automobiles among the race participant rosters. The Studebaker Racing web site follows racing participation primarily in the sanctioning organizations, AAA/USAC and NASCAR. Results for races sanctioned by those organizations are available. Also included were race results that I located in International events. Both open wheel and stock car race results are included.
        Stan Kalwasinski's photos of Chicago area racing are well known among racing enthusiasts. He took many photos of the Studebaker entries. The details of those races are much less available.
        Certainly there were many Studebaker cars raced at local tracks everywhere. Information on those efforts is buried in newspaper files not easily researched. The introduction of GM supplied V8 engines in Canadian built Studebaker automobiles in the mid 1960's opened the door to racing Chevrolet powered Studebaker cars of that era in local races. Some may still be raced or where until recently. These Studebaker race cars are separate from the Modified 1953/1954 Studebaker race cars that were raced in the high speed Modified Races at Daytona International Speedway, Charlotte Motor Speedway, and Atlanta Raceway in the 1960's.
        The creation of the web site resulted in Power Point presentations being given at the SDC International Meet in Charlotte in 2004 and South Bend in 2012. Quite a few additional photos were included in the Power Point presentations.
        This topic has been a joy to research and to present to interested parties. Thank you Bob Palma and Stu Chapman for your support.

Thanks to each of you for occasionally taking a look at www.studebakerracing.com
        sigpicBob Coolidge
        DeLand, FL

Comment

Bill Van Allen at Santa Fe Speedway

Comment

It should be noted that "Santa Fe Speedway" was located in Willow Springs, Illinois - not New Mexico! It was so named because it was near the Santa Fe railroad tracks.

Comment

Working...
            X