Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1972 Nova disc brake conversion trouble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 1972 Nova disc brake conversion trouble.

Friend of Mine,has put a disc brake kit in a 72 Nova "all new parts".He ended up with a soft brake pedal,He ended up replacing all parts twice with no improvement.He clamped off the rears with no change.He clamped off the fronts and got a hard pedal,the bleeders are up on the calipers,the hoses are good.I think He said the master has a built in residual valve ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

He may want a master cylinder with a smaller diameter piston. That will give increased pressure and harden up the pedal feel.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Make sure the BLEEDER valve is on top of the front caliper.

Johnny

Comment

These are good guys to help troubleshoot your kind of problem.

If your buddy has a drum brake residual valve in his master cylinder, he may get a dragging disc problem, a pedal return problem, and a piston sizing problem.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The Disc Front Brakes not NOT require a Residual Valve as DEEPNHOCK (Jeff) said. The Drum Rears do.

Also on A GM Car, the rears probably require a Proportioning Valve.

Time to start over, correctly.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Are the flex hoses new?
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

While the disc do not "require" a residual valve, it sure helps make the brake pedal action nice.
              It keeps the pads close to the rotor for quick braking action.

On my hot rod Conestoga, I used 2lb. valves on both ends, (under floor master cylinder) and the brakes work fantastic. No discernible drag, the car will roll easy with no brake pedal actuation.
              I've done the same thing to my driver Conestoga. Wilwood calipers (GM copies in aluminum) in front, Ford calipers in the back, under floor Wilwood master cylinder, with 2lb. valves for both front and rear. The two reservoirs are on the fender well.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X