Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know anything about this Studebaker "limo"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know anything about this Studebaker "limo"?

I was doing a quick Google search to get a picture of the Studebaker tree sign at Bendix Woods to post on another site and saw this in the images. Anyone familiar with it? Perhaps Craig can do some search magic and see if it has been discussed before.

Originally posted by Guido View Post
    I was doing a quick Google search to get a picture of the Studebaker tree sign at Bendix Woods to post on another site and saw this in the images. Anyone familiar with it? Perhaps Craig can do some search magic and see if it has been discussed before.

Years ago, Chuck Naugle (The Inventor of Studebaker) came east loaded with a few snapshots of a forlorn 1951 "special order" Limo. I shared the picture with David Walker of Chesnee SC. David drove all the way out to New Mexico (or Arizona) and rescued it. Story I heard was that after the original owner (A Hotel) was done with it, it got passed around, with the last being a college fraternity. I also heard that there were only two "Special order" factory 1951 Limos built. Seeing the difference in the doors...I'm not sure this is the "other" one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51limo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1700185
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Looks like a late model window in the center.
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I was thinking the center window looks like some sort of van window......
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Looks like a "homemade" special to me.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            I was thinking the center window looks like some sort of van window......
            Up a little late tonight and re-visited this thread. As far as the Van comment...come to think of it...I think that entire center section is made from a rear Van door. Like those utility vans with two doors and a window in each.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If you will notice closely at the front end, I think you will agree by the front fender design that it is a 1950 Commander/Land Cruiser front end. The car that Chuck found in New Mexico was a 51 Commander. I wonder how the center section of the frame was cut and what was added to join this back together.

Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                I think you will agree by the front fender design that it is a 1950 Commander/Land Cruiser front end.
                I believe you are correct on the limo in Gary's post. Quite probably an extended '50 land Cruiser.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

...speaking of odd "limos," this from the fall Auctions America event in Auburn IN:

OK; now you've seen it all... BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    ...speaking of odd "limos," this from the fall Auctions America event in Auburn IN:

OK; now you've seen it all... BP
                    OHHH-KAAYY???...A Chevy II LIMO?....More like a... "LIMETTE!"
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Didn't some Studebaker advertising refer to the Cruiser as a limosette?

With appreciation to Len Shepherd for the photoshop.

Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

At Chck Naugle's request many years ago I did some research on his airport limo and found that it was made by the Armbruster Co. of Fort Smith, Arkansas (founded 1887). They started making airport and stretch limos in the mid 1920s. For more info on this company see: http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/a/armb...armbruster.htm
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                          Looks like a "homemade" special to me.
                          The further I look at this, the more I tend to agree. Looking at the rear doors, it looks like a 1950 Commander sedan rear clip. The rear door does not have the stretched Land Cruiser door. I cannot make out the detail if it has a one piece windshield or the 2 piece that the 50 Commander used. I would imagine that the commander 6 would have to work those horsepower hard to move that much more mass. Interesting none the less

Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            Didn't some Studebaker advertising refer to the Cruiser as a limosette?
                            No - It was referred to as a Limousette (1963).
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Nothing to do with the car illustrated, but speaking of limos....
                              I recall a Turning Wheels article about Israeli-built cars...and they made a limo for government use.
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X