Getting ready for a drive to the mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready for a drive to the mountains

The North Carolina Tri State meet is right around the corner. It is always a great meet with friendly folks and always entertaining. I missed it last year and have committed to go this year. It has been a crazy, crazy year at work, losing part of our work force, working all over the state and way too many hours. Most of the extra money I make goes to the government, so it is a no win situation. All of this extra work means my side work is way behind schedule. My apologies to those that are waiting for their projects to be completed. I have been promised that my regular work load will return to normal soon. On top of all of this, my knee has decided to do things to me that cause extreme pain, not to mention some words to come out of my mouth that should never be heard.
    Enough complaining and back to the subject at hand. My poor Lark has been neglected over the last couple of years and before making the trip to the mountains, the poor girl needs some help. She is mechanically sound, but her body needs a lift. One of the young kids at the shop where I do my side work volunteered his service to help. So a quick sand and prep found Ugly Betty not as ugly as she was. She is now hot rod black. Nowhere near perfect, but it will do until I can do the proper body work and paint. Some before and after photos to follow.
    I need to change the front wheels to match the rears, but need to find some thinner spacers to clear the calipers.
    I'm looking forward to getting away for a couple of days.
    Attached Files
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

The satin Hot Rod Black paint looks great, even better in person.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

She's a looker in that black satin dress!

Comment

that looks much better!

with or without my '51, i wanted to make it to tri-state this year. but i'm in the middle of getting ready to move to the RDU area - near Bahama, NC - around 15 miles north of Durham. Planning on the move next Monday 9/14 or that week. a small living area, but a big-@$$ed garage!
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Come on up...hope to get to see you. I e-mailed the lodge yesterday to make sure my reservations I made last year are still valid. They e-mailed me back and assured me they are. So...not sure of which Stude I'll drive, but I hope to pull up a couple of the steep hills to make the trip. Always one of the best meets. There was a time, when we had a real economy...the meet would pull folks from as far as Arizona, Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and parts between. For those with the time and resources...you'll be hard pressed to find a more friendlier bunch...crank 'em up and come on...WELCOME!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Michele and I will be driving up Friday morning. See y'all there!
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

April and I are looking forward to caravaning up with several of you on Friday. Unfortunately we may be in our Brand X as I don't trust Stuey's tires for the 300+ mile round trip.
              Mike Davis
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

That black satin makes it look like it's hiding something special (under the hood).

Those wheels look familiar...what make/model were they originally?
                Andy
                62 GT

Comment

1991 Lincoln Mark VII LSC wheels. They are coming off and GM style rally wheels will replace them.
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1958 Commander "Christine"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

We have a good group of folks from our end of the state caravanning up. As always it looks like a good time is to be had by all.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I am really looking forward to the meet. One of my favorite places to be.

Comment

Betty ain't ugly any more, she's HOT!.... Hmm, given that the apple festival was this weekend, maybe she should get a new name... Hot Apple Betty!

I'll be there for a bit, it's always on Jane's birthday weekend, and, well, you know....
                        Ron Dame
                        '63 Champ

Comment

I like THOSE wheels on THAT car. Don't know that another set of rally wheels in our world would make SASSY BETTY look and feel any better at all.....BUD

Comment

Get'em ready and hit the road!

OK folks, anybody wanting some great Studebaker fellowship in beautiful scenic country...time to hit the road! I've worked most of the day cleaning off spider webs, removing wasp nests, washing, changing oil, and lubing the chassis. Have "ME" AND "MINI-ME" all loaded up and hope to be climbing a few hills, and making a few curves tomorrow as I make my way to the Tri-State meet in Maggie Valley.

Toying around with my scanner and thought I'd share a couple of pics. If this truck makes it...this will represent visits to this meet for four decades. After discovering that there was a Studebaker Drivers Club, this was one of the first events I attended. At that time, I was using the truck as my main transportation to work...1975.

Click image for larger version

Name:	55 at Nell's 2-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1700235

Click image for larger version

Name:	55 AT Nell's cropped.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1700234
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC