Trouble fitting new SI hydrovac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Trouble fitting new SI hydrovac

Finally getting around to replacing my non-functional Hydrovac with a new (new-manufacture) SI Hydrovac. The top tube which goes from the back of the unit over the top to the front "breather" (vent?) sticks out so far to the back that it won't fit by the battery.

It's connected by a spring clip into a rubber hose on the back, but appears to be sealed with something into the front casting. Can this tube be removed from the hydrovac without ruining anything inside the hydrovac, so it could be shortened? If not, it looks like we're going to have to do some drilling and move the hydrovac and brake hose brackets forward on the inner fender away from the battery.

Paul
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Have you discussed the issue with SI? Another purchaser with a GT may have already had this issue and there may be recommended fixes.

BTW, thanks for posting this, and please keep us informed as to the final resolution. I have a '62 GT and was getting ready to purchase a new Hydrovac also, but may wait to see what happens with yours.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Have you discussed the issue with SI?
      We just discovered this last night about 9 PM. With the long holiday weekend, it won't be possible to call SI until Tuesday. By then, my-son-the-mechanic will have gone back home a few hours away. I'm hoping someone on the forum knows the Hydrovac well enough to say whether it's safe to pull that tube out and shorten it.

I'll keep you posted, Paul

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdGenStude View Post
        We just discovered this last night about 9 PM. With the long holiday weekend, it won't be possible to call SI until Tuesday. By then, my-son-the-mechanic will have gone back home a few hours away. I'm hoping someone on the forum knows the Hydrovac well enough to say whether it's safe to pull that tube out and shorten it.

I'll keep you posted, Paul

Paul
        Fully understand, and my question was in no way a criticism.

Looking forward to a successful report!
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Glad that someone can get a definitive answer from SI. I had some simple questions regarding the differences between the new and the rebuilt Hydrovac, but got no reasonable answer over the phone, so I sent an Email and got no response at all!

Comment

Sorry you are getting no help, I think very little is available, since not very many have the Repro Unit on a Drum Brake Hawk, which I am sure is not the same as the Original, help will be limited.

In S.I.'s picture of the 802100 I see a long tube from front to back that looks like part of a Trombone slide, that has to be the perceived problem.

Have you compared it to your Original one to see if that is the ONLY, and definitely THE problem?
            How about the Mounting holes and Bracket?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I put one of SI's repro hydrovacs on the wife's 63GT, and do not recall any problems, but it has disc brakes. I am pretty sure the DB hydrovac is different from the one for drums. If yours requires moving the mount forward a bit, is that really a problem?

Comment

In S.I.'s picture of the 802100 I see a long tube from front to back that looks like part of a Trombone slide, that has to be the perceived problem.
                Yes, that's it. After lookinig at a diagram on Bob Johnstone's site, it became clear there was no problem removing that.

However, it seems it's all a moot question now. The bolt hole for the bolt which attaches the bottom banjo fitting appears to have been drilled/tapped crooked. No amount of tightening, and no thickness of crush washer will keep brake fluid from squirting out the side of the assembly which doesn't clamp down tight to the outer surface of the casting.

I will be contacting SI when they're open tomorrow.

Have you compared it to your Original one to see if that is the ONLY, and definitely THE problem?
                How about the Mounting holes and Bracket?
                The SI unit doesn't come with a bracket, so I'm using my original bracket, banjo fittings, etc. Comparing the "trombone slide" (good analogy, I should have thought of that, I used to play one) it sits a lot flatter and closer to the casing of the original hydrovac.

BTW, I'm no mechanic. But my son who attempted the install is an ASE certified master mechanic with some hot rodding experience. He knows what he's doing. Scheduling conflicts getting him up here kept my SI unit sitting in the box for about 6 months. I hope I don't have trouble returing it to SI.

Paul

Comment

If yours requires moving the mount forward a bit, is that really a problem?
                  Not really, except there's already enough holes in this GT from rust, so if I can avoid creating even more holes (which would also be rust starters) I'd like to avoid it.

But as noted in the reply to StudeRich, work has come to a standstill anyway.

Paul

Comment

Problem solved! SI Hydrovac

SI was really good about replacing my faulty Hydrovac unit. All is installed and everything is re-bled now. Finally I have brakes in the Hawk. Took it for a short drive. Sorry, can't seem to get the link to the video working.

Next step is to get the front emergency brake cable installed (new one is already on the rear) and to replace the freeze plugs (and clean out the coolant passages.) It's weeping coolant out the corroded freeze plugs.

Paul
                    Last edited by 3rdGenStude; 10-26-2015, 04:53 PM. Reason: video link not working

Comment

Working...
                    X