Studebaker "sir" name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker "sir" name

The recent post about Andy Studeaker brings to mind a story resulting from participation in a recent car show. In that show my wife drove the Avanti and I took the 57 Golden Hawk. Both cars drew alot of attention but one lady seemed to take more time in looking at every detail of the cars. She finally approached us and said she has had several Studebakers in her family life and was direct descendant of the founding Studebaker family. She told about family issues, but for me the most interesting was that her direct family ancestors, who wanted to keep the Studebaker name, had to go to court, and eventually won, the right for females to retain the name even after marriage. Apparently they could not retain the name after marriage in what ever state they were in. I have never seen any aspect of this issue in any reading about Studebaker and, if factual, it points out how things have changed today, when, one can be anything they want to be at any time they want to be it. Ken, Deltaville, Va.

This was introduced in a attempt to validate what she said, and if true it would show, to many, that Studebaker was ahead of its time in more that vehicle design. Has anyone familiar with Studebaker history heard, or read of this before?
    Last edited by ken-renda; 09-08-2015, 04:47 AM.

I know a few, and have seen a number of times where married women have retained their maiden name; either by itself, or hyphenated with married and maiden name combined.

And some famous musicians and movie stars have retained their maiden or combined theirs for obvious reasons. Shirley Temple Black is an example. Therefore, unless it was a local requirement, I fail to see why it was not allowed.

Craig

Comment

Remember that at one time in the United States women did not have property rights or the right to vote. It is not inconceivable to think there were laws requiring women to take their husband's name.
      Last edited by Guido; 09-05-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
        if factual, it points out how things have changed today, when, one can be anything they want to be at any time they want to be it.
        That sounds like a good prescription for an orderly, stable, productive society and culture, doesn't it? BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hillary Clinton was Hillary Rodham or Hillary Rodham-Clinton until Bill ran for President. She tries to act more mainstream now.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            ... an orderly, stable, productive society and culture, ...
            Wouldn't that be boring?
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Wouldn't that be boring?
              Some people believe that anything that does not mirror their thoughts and perceptions is wrong. To highlight these differences, they often ascribe words with negative connotations to those opposing views. Anybody can be led, it takes courage to lead and take a stand rather than follow the blind herd over the cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Wouldn't that be boring?
                The operative word there is productive. To be productive requires order; the acceptance of commonly-held beliefs, norms., etc. Lacking them, when each person decides for themselves what is right and wrong, only chaos can result.

There's a lot of truth in the old adage, "those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." Such is being played out in living color before the United States' terminally-narcissistic, self-centered citizenry right now...or at least the members of that citizenry who insist that, somehow, we can ignore history; that "it will be different this time."

Which attends to Einstein's alleged definition of insanity; doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

As a Kid, I always wondered why Roy Rogers and Dale Evans had different names even though they were married. My dear mother said "They just do that in the movies."
                  I accepted it and didn't care any more.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

No politics, or the thread will be closed and infractions given.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

In some societies the wife still retains her maiden name after the marriage and the children take the father's name. Historically the taking of the name identifies rights of succession or the right to inherit. Taking your husbands name could reinforce this right. As stated earlier at one time a woman did not have property rights and would choose a husband who would protect her and maintain her property. I think Martha Washington took George Washington in marriage to protect her and her property, (this is not a political statement, more of an historical fact).
                      sigpic
                      55 President Deluxe
                      64 Commander
                      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
                      X