No announcement yet.

1953 Borg Warner automatic tranny, DG200 - shifting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1953 Borg Warner automatic tranny, DG200 - shifting issue

I have a 1953 Commander with the Borg Warner DG200 automatic transmission.
    The transmission has been rebuilt by a local shop.
    The problem is that the transmission does not down shift to first gear when coming to a stop.
    You must manually shift it from D to L.
    Is there an adjustment that can be made to correct this? The shop that did the work is of no help. They got in over their head on this one.

The DG200 does not drop to first at idle unless you physically shift to "L". It's designed for fuel economy, not for jack rabbit starts. If you want to take off in first, shift to low, then shift up when your RPM's sound happy. It sounds like it is working exactly as designed.

My '51 and '53 Commanders both work like that, just as designed.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Had you never driven your '53 before the Trans. was rebuilt?
      The Detroit Gear DG250M used in 1955 Models did have a Low Gear start, but not a DG200.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

STUDERICH, Did all of the 55's have the 250 instead of the 200 or just some, because the 55 that I just got a short time ago has a second gear start as well? I guess that makes it a dg200? THANKS.....BUD

Comment

I believe the DG250M was developed specifically for the new 1955 President 259 engine. The engine was new for '55, had more HP and torque than anything before and the new trans had 1st gear start. Starting in 1st gave better performance and relieved stress on the drive train. With the higher amount of torque available this may have been to prevent damage to the transmission.
          The next smaller V8 engine for '55 was the 224 and that may have been paired with the DG200. All the V8's look alike, so unless you know the specifics, it may have been the 224. The smaller six cylinder was always paired with the DG150. For many years of notes in my files, the "M" suffix denoted 1st gear start, the others were all 2nd gear start.
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Bob...I think you are close. My 55 with 259 2 bbl and single exhaust came from the factory with a DG200M - first gear start. Don't know if anyone decided it was appropriate or they just wanted to use up the DG200s. Every 55, 259 4bbl with dual exhaust (that I have seen) used the DG250 or the DG250M. I am converting to the 250M for the Pure Stocks. I upgraded to 4bbl and dual exhaust so I'm hoping it is a better choice. Don't want to blow the DG200M.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thank You to all for the input, This car was in a barn for 30 years in California before I got it, And I had never owned a car that did not downshift to low when approaching a stop. But I guess since this was one of the first automatic transmissions then a little shifting probably seemed ok at that time.

I will try driving the car and leave it in drive to see how it performs.

Comment

Leave it in Drive, light turns green, Mash the throttle to the floor. There's a good chance it will snap your head back as it drops into first.

Comment

LOL. Yup, Tom. That's what happens. If it doesn't, all you need is one of these guys under the hood. Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1700237
                  Last edited by warrlaw1; 09-11-2015, 12:39 PM.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                    Leave it in Drive, light turns green, Mash the throttle to the floor. There's a good chance it will snap your head back as it drops into first.
                    And running up to the mid seventies before settling in third!
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I don't know what you guys are smoking......BUT I WANT SOME!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        I don't know what you guys are smoking......BUT I WANT SOME!!
                        Ed, When the time comes, both of my DG200 equipped Commanders will be on the market. Until then, you can see the '51 on the April page of the Madd Doodler's calendar for 2016.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                        X