View Full Version : 1950 landcruiser article

mapman
11-21-2007, 01:41 PM
My uncles 50 Land Cruiser was written up in Curbside. Here's a link
<http://www.curbside.tv/review_single.php?rid=72>
Rob

studegary
11-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Excellent coverage and exposure for Studebaker. Your uncle's car is great - amazing that he started with a $100 car.
One minor item, the transmission is not "bipassed" - the torque convertor "locks up" to create a direct drive to the transmission.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

studegary
11-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Excellent coverage and exposure for Studebaker. Your uncle's car is great - amazing that he started with a $100 car.
One minor item, the transmission is not "bipassed" - the torque convertor "locks up" to create a direct drive to the transmission.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

mapman
11-21-2007, 02:55 PM
I repaired the transmission for him last spring. It certainly is an intersting transmission. It has an actual clutch that is ahead of the torque converter that is hydraullicly engaged for direct drive, which is why they described it as bypassing the transmission. It is inside the torque converter housing and runs in oil. We wanted to replace the whole torque converter but then found out how rare it is. It is only on the 50 big six. When they went to the V8 they put in a smaller torque converter/clutch. It was really a fun project. The museum it is at has a lot of Packards and other cars including several other studebakers that are availble for rides. Its just a couple blocks from LAX. I got to drive it back to the museum through the tunnel under the airport. [8D] Definitly one of the highlights of my year. So I normally lead a sheltered life up here in Idaho.
Rob

mapman
11-21-2007, 02:55 PM
I repaired the transmission for him last spring. It certainly is an intersting transmission. It has an actual clutch that is ahead of the torque converter that is hydraullicly engaged for direct drive, which is why they described it as bypassing the transmission. It is inside the torque converter housing and runs in oil. We wanted to replace the whole torque converter but then found out how rare it is. It is only on the 50 big six. When they went to the V8 they put in a smaller torque converter/clutch. It was really a fun project. The museum it is at has a lot of Packards and other cars including several other studebakers that are availble for rides. Its just a couple blocks from LAX. I got to drive it back to the museum through the tunnel under the airport. [8D] Definitly one of the highlights of my year. So I normally lead a sheltered life up here in Idaho.
Rob

bullet_nose_stude
11-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Rob,

Regarding that being one of the highlights of the year, it's quite possible that you need to get out a little more. Just kidding. Dude, that is one nice Cruiser. I had a 51 20 years ago, but it was nowhere near as nice as that 50. They do get the looks, don't they? Kudos to Unk.

quote:Originally posted by mapman

Rob

bullet_nose_stude
11-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Rob,

Regarding that being one of the highlights of the year, it's quite possible that you need to get out a little more. Just kidding. Dude, that is one nice Cruiser. I had a 51 20 years ago, but it was nowhere near as nice as that 50. They do get the looks, don't they? Kudos to Unk.

quote:Originally posted by mapman

Rob