AC install question - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC install question - need help

I have a chance to get this AC setup from a Lark. Will this work in a 53 Commander with the 289 and power steering? The 289 has a double crank pulley. What is it worth?

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Before you invest the money in this system, you need to find the following: another pulley for the crankshaft. The compressor sits on the opposite side of the engine from the power steering pump. Double pulley for the water pump. Idler for the belt, I used one off of an 86-90 Geo Metro. Fit perfectly. You also need a condenser, dryer and hoses. It looks like you need to take the compressor to an A/C shop, and see about a head gasket, and a new seal. Studebaker compressors used a different seal than Ford. Found that out the hard way. Personally, unless originality is of prime importance, I would consider swapping the compressor, and go with a Sanden. They are a about $200.00 new, and are smaller in profile. $50.00 for an adapter plate, and you are good to go. You can specify at the time of order for the compressor, whether you want R-12, or R-134. Also, you can specify flair fittings, or "O" rings. "O" rings seal better. Now, as to fitting to a 53, the area at the front of the engine is very tight. A trial fit of that compressor on top of the engine may be in order. .. A good supply of bolts, washers etc. and a lot of patience.
    I think the only good pieces are the evaporator, and the mounting plate. $200.00 max maybe. That is if the motor on the evap unit is good. My $ .02 worth, others will chime in, I am sure.

Comment

Has your '53 been converted to 12 volts? The clutch on the Lark setup uses 12 volts.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originality is not the issue. I would probably use a different compressor anyhow. It's just that this would you get me the brackets and evaporator. He wants 140 for the set up plus delivery. I do not think there would be much room on top of the engine. The shroud comes too far back. I might consider putting it over with the alternator. I have power steering on the other side. Does anybody have a picture of the set up in a commander?
        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
          Originality is not the issue. I would probably use a different compressor anyhow. It's just that this would you get me the brackets and evaporator. He wants 140 for the set up plus delivery. I do not think there would be much room on top of the engine. The shroud comes too far back. I might consider putting it over with the alternator. I have power steering on the other side. Does anybody have a picture of the set up in a commander?
          These original parts are interesting....but I believe you'd be way ahead with a modern kit made up for your car...lighter, more compact compressor, and all new parts.

As I'm sure you already know, ads for new A/C setups for Studebakers can be found inside 'TURNING WHEELS' magazine. Good luck!

Comment

What SN-60 said.. A new generic under-dash evaporator isn't very expensive. And I don't know enough about the original setups.. Is that bracket for a 6 or V8?

A couple of years ago, I helped a friend do an A/C install on his '59 Hawk. Not quite the same as a '53, but pretty close.

His goal with the car was/is a dependable driver all-year round.. Including the middle of summer in Florida. I'll try to remember most of the details..

The ONLY used part that was utilized was the compressor mounting bracket. It was an old aftermarket bracket and he put an adapter on that for the Sanden compressor. He has a crimping tool and made his own hoses. He had a cool old 50's evaporator, but a new unit was cheaper than sending the old one out for a new core. The radiator was redone with a heavy duty core. A GM alternator replaced the original generator. A volt meter replaced the amp gauge in the dash. The stock 4 blade fan was replaced with a 5 blade, and a GM clutch. The fan shroud had to be cut down to clear the Sanden. The heater hoses had to be rerouted. The hood prop rod was reshaped to clear the condenser, but you won't have to deal with that on a '53. Also, I should mention that the engine was rebuilt about 10 years ago, and the block coolant passages were all cleaned out then. Probably the most important thing is to have a cooling system that's up to the task.

Last edited by mbstude; 08-30-2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the pics. That does help. If there are any other setups please post them. I am in AZ and it was 109 today. I would like to drive the car all year.
              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I have this set up, same evaporator with York compressor in my 1964 OHV 6 T cab 1/2 ton pickup. I have an after market dryer and condenser? Works great although the York compressor pull a lot oh HP.

Ron Acton

Comment

Am I wrong, or is the hood on a 53 closer to the front of the engine than a Hawk?

Comment

Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                    X