PDA

View Full Version : Paint used on frame and body undersides of Avanti's.

Indyted
08-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Greetings:

What was the correct paint color used on the undersides of Avanti's? Was the frame painted a semi-gloss black while the underside of the body and inner wheel wells paint flat black?

Thanks in advance!

SN-60
08-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Greetings:

What was the correct paint color used on the undersides of Avanti's? Was the frame painted a semi-gloss black while the underside of the body and inner wheel wells paint flat black?

Thanks in advance!This is an interesting question!......From what I've seen in the past, aside from a bit of factory paint overspray here and there, the Avanti body's underside was left in bare fiberglass.......

although undercoating was definitely optional! (This would have been a great AVANTI TRIVIA question on the AOAI FORUM!) :)

j.byrd
08-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Indyted, mine, like SN-60 said, was bare fiberglass color with a bit of overspray (mostly from me), road dust, and some fluids from the tranny and rear-end seals being leaky.

Gunslinger
08-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Would there have been a difference between South Bend produced bodies and those supplied from Molded Fiberglass? MFG supplied painted bodies but I suspect as a time and cost savings painting the undersides would not have been performed by either.

Besides...once the rear main seal and oil pan started leaking, the undersides would get covered anyway!

SN-60
08-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Would there have been a difference between South Bend produced bodies and those supplied from Molded Fiberglass? MFG supplied painted bodies but I suspect as a time and cost savings painting the undersides would not have been performed by either.

Besides...once the rear main seal and oil pan started leaking, the undersides would get covered anyway!

..............AND don't forget the rear end pinion seal!!!!!!!!! :D

bezhawk
08-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Since I'm helping with the Avanti authenticity manual and have over 35 edits so far, let me put my two cents in.
Avantis were primed (during Studebaker production years) with red oxide primer. There was no masking, and generally just the outside shell was primed well. Generally just one coat under the hood, door jambs, or under the trunk.The jambs were not sanded smooth. Especially underneath the car was left bare. Then when color was shot, the non sanded areas under the hood, door jambs, and trunk lid, were much rougher in finish, and the fiberglass texture shows through. Door jambs towards the hinge area should show a mold release line if it was never repainted.
The underside just got whatever overspray that the painter applied.
Fender wells ere then undercoated so as not to star crack the topside if and when rocks are thrown up from the tires. I have not seen any Avantis that were bare in the wheel wells from the factory.
The hog troughs were semi gloss, although a bit more shiny than the semi gloss frame. (both black).

Bob Caser
08-30-2015, 01:47 PM
Since I'm helping with the Avanti authenticity manual and have over 35 edits so far, let me put my two cents in.
Avantis were primed (during Studebaker production years) with red oxide primer. There was no masking, and generally just the outside shell was primed well. Generally just one coat under the hood, door jambs, or under the trunk.The jambs were not sanded smooth. Especially underneath the car was left bare. Then when color was shot, the non sanded areas under the hood, door jambs, and trunk lid, were much rougher in finish, and the fiberglass texture shows through. Door jambs towards the hinge area should show a mold release line if it was never repainted.
The underside just got whatever overspray that the painter applied.
Fender wells ere then undercoated so as not to star crack the topside if and when rocks are thrown up from the tires. I have not seen any Avantis that were bare in the wheel wells from the factory.
The hog troughs were semi gloss, although a bit more shiny than the semi gloss frame. (both black).

Thank you for your correct input and observations. Memory seems to believe that Avantis were better finished as they left the factory. They were as you described. My first day of new Avanti ownership it was found that the alternator plug was not connected, second day I found that the drivers vent window leaked water on to my leg. The majority of cars then had poor quality control,because the being public accepted what was being offered,

As to the undercoating in the wheel wells it was crudely applied, and very thick.

Bob Caser

Skip Lackie
08-30-2015, 04:17 PM
I took a tour of the Avanti Motors assembly building in around 1977, and was told that Budd shot the frames with a single coat of cheap gloss black, with no undercoat. Bare spots were not uncommon. The frames in the Avanti plant seemed to verify that explanation. On the road, this rapidly dulled to a semi-gloss, leading most of us to believe that that is the way they came.

WCP
08-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Factory photos of early assembly of body to frame clearly show that the chassis black paint on the frame and suspension components had a significant level of gloss.